Chapter 6

Early the next day I walked around town looking for any places hiring. I just needed to make enough money to form a crummy apartment. After I'd walked for around an hour, I found a small restaurant looking to hire. I sighed in relief and pushed open the door.

Relieved that hardly anybody was in, I walked up to the counter and asked haltingly, "I'm looking for a job. I saw the sign. By any chance could I get an interview?"

The cashier looked at me. He had brown hair that fell slightly over his face. He brushed it away. "I'll ask. Leave your email or something and we'll contact you." He said it like he'd done it a million times.

"Look, if you've already got people lined up for the job don't worry about I just–"

"Relax, girl." He muttered. "I just need to ask my mom first. She runs the place, not me."

"Thank you." I breathed, bringing my notebook from my pocket and scrawling my email and phone number on the paper. I put it on the counter and he took it.

"I'm Jake." He said, putting the paper in his pocket.

"Dealia."

"I'll see what I can do for the job, Dealia. I'll email or call you."

I nodded and walked out. Once I got home to write in my notebook, I realized I'd torn out a page with writing on the back. Great. Now whoever was getting that paper would see what I wrote. I prayed it would just be Jake, and even that was humiliating to think about.

I scrawled the possibility of a job down and the address, just so I could remember it. I hadn't even asked how much it made. I groaned. That was stupid of me. I didn't even know how much I'd get paid. Hopefully enough.

Sitting at my desk, I traced the wood grains, looking out the window at Cassie's house. We'd wave at each other through the windows and laugh.

Now the curtains were closed to her room. So I closed mine.