[34] : Hunter Candidates, Rivalries and Friendships Tested

According to Gon and Killua's future teacher, Wing.

Nen is a skill anyone can learn if they work hard enough, which is why the selection process for learners is so stringent.

Otherwise, it would result in criminal groups like the "Phantom Troupe," who are ruthless Nen users.

Even for a genius, it takes about a month to awaken Nen. However, monsters can achieve it much faster. For instance, Gon and Killua.

In Wing's view, Gon and Killua could awaken Nen in just a week due to their exceptional talent, which is said to be one in a million.

Although Airmid and Mellie may not have the same innate talent for Nen as Gon and Killua, they possess magic.

Their long-term manipulation of magic gives them a deeper understanding of their life energy.

Thus, after mastering the four major principles of Nen training, Airmid and Mellie's progress was remarkably fast.

A week was enough for them to awaken their Nen.

...

During this week, the other twenty-four participants on the island continued to hunt and collect their target's number badges.

Although Mika's group had already secured victory early on and did not interfere with the subsequent hunts, their presence still impacted the test.

For example, because Mika had taken badge number 198 in advance, Hanzo was not fooled by Killua's trickery and successfully obtained badge number 197.

However, many events remained unchanged. Gon's target was still Hisoka.

The one who originally targeted Gon, Geretta, drew Mika's number instead, but couldn't find Mika and ultimately died at Hisoka's hands.

Despite the differences brought by Mika's group, those who passed the test remained the same due to their absolute strength and luck.

Seven days later, in response to the examiners' calls, eleven people appeared before them: Hisoka, Gitarakuru, Gon, Killua, Kurapika, Leorio, Hanzo, Bodoro, Mika, Airmid, and Mellie.

Among the eleven, only Hisoka presented four badges, while the others each had two.

With the fourth test concluded, the eleven were taken back to the Hunter Association's airship to prepare for the final test.

In Mika's resting room, after filling a cup with water and placing a leaf on it, Mika looked at Airmid and Mellie with anticipation.

After a week of training, they had awakened their Nen. Although they currently only mastered "Ten" among the four major principles of Nen, they decided to test their affinities out of curiosity.

"Airmid, you go first," Mellie suggested.

Nodding, Airmid placed her hands on either side of the cup and activated her Nen. After a moment, a few drops of water overflowed from the cup.

"Enhancement type, huh? Not too surprising," Mika said with a slight smile. Airmid's straightforward personality seemed fitting for this type.

"Looks like you'll be a powerful healer!" Mellie said, having become well-versed in gaming terminology over time.

"A powerful healer, huh? Sounds interesting," Airmid said, nodding seriously before pushing the cup toward Mellie.

"Now it's your turn, Mellie."

"Alright, I can't wait," Mellie said, placing her hands on either side of the cup and activating her Nen.

The changes in the cup were different from the five primary types: Enhancement, Manipulation, Emission, Conjuration, and Transmutation. Crimson patterns spread through the water, creating a surreal, dreamlike effect.

"This is... Specialization?" Mellie said, uncertain.

"A change outside the five primary types likely means Specialization," Mika confirmed.

"Doesn't it resemble your magic 'Dream'?" Airmid suggested.

"It does, indeed," Mellie said, nodding thoughtfully, already contemplating her Nen ability.

"Alright, you're still far from constructing a Nen ability. For now, focus on the basics," Mika said, correcting their course.

The importance of a solid foundation in any ability couldn't be overstated.

...

After the eleven candidates returned to the airship, the Hunter Association examiners called them one by one for interviews.

Hisoka was called first, followed by Mika.

As Mika walked up to the second floor, he passed Hisoka, who was leaving the reception room.

Both of their auras flared momentarily before calming down.

Ignoring Hisoka's intentions, Mika pushed open the door to the reception room, finding only Netero inside.

"Yo, Master, it's just you?"

"Indeed, I'm in charge of the final test," Netero said, shaking his clipboard and gesturing for Mika to sit.

"So, why do you want to become a Hunter?" Netero asked.

"To learn Nen, of course."

"Among the other ten candidates, who do you care about the most?"

"Care about? If you mean who I'm wary of, it would be Hisoka and Gitarakuru. They're seasoned Nen users, and I might not be a match for them yet."

"Who among the ten do you least want to face?"

"I don't really mind who I face. But if I have to say, I'd rather not fight Airmid, Mellie, Gon, Killua, Kurapika, or Leorio. They're friends and family."

"Understood," Netero said, nodding before waving Mika away. "Now, off you go."

"Hey, Master, aren't you interested in my progress?"

"Get out and stop bothering me," Netero replied, annoyed.

"Seriously, don't you care at all?" Mika grumbled, glaring at Netero before leaving.

Watching Mika's retreating figure, Netero chuckled.

He could already tell Mika's progress without Mika having to show it. The steady, refined, and vast aura Mika exuded was proof enough.

"What a monstrous growth rate," Netero marveled.

With everyone interviewed, the candidates relaxed until they reached the final test location, a hotel managed by the Hunter Association.

After gathering everyone, Netero announced the final test: a one-on-one elimination tournament. The match-ups and order were:

Hanzo → Gon → Airmid → Mellie → Killua → Gitarakuru → ← Leorio ← Bodoro ← Hisoka ← Kurapika ← Mika.

...

Support me and read 10 Chapters Ahead of Others!!

https://p@treon.com/dragonnx

[Replace '@' with 'a' to access Patreon Normally]