Chapter 31 - 2010 : A Lover's Lament

A few days ago,

Ashwath was sitting in the hall, reading the newspaper early in the morning. The soft light of dawn filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room. Ahalya was getting ready for work, the gentle hum of her routine filling the house with a sense of normalcy. As Ashwath immersed himself in the news, the soft patter of footsteps caught his attention.

His daughter, Nisha, had just woken up and emerged from her room, still drowsy from sleep. As soon as she spotted her father, a small smile tugged at the corners of her lips, and she made her way toward him. Ashwath looked up from his paper, his face softening with affection.

"Good morning, princess," he greeted her warmly, his voice a mix of tenderness and joy. He set the newspaper aside and gently pulled her onto his lap, his arms wrapping around her protectively as he admired her sleepy, innocent face.

Nisha snuggled into her father's embrace, her small arms wrapping around his neck as she laid her head on his shoulder. The warmth of his body and the steady rhythm of his breathing lulled her into a peaceful state. She closed her eyes, feeling safe and cherished, as Ashwath held her close, his heart swelling with love for his little girl.

Ashwath gently rubbed Nisha's back, his voice soft as he asked, "Still sleepy, my little cupcake?"

Nisha responded with a sleepy murmur, nuzzling her head against him as she drifted back to sleep, completely content in her father's embrace. Her breathing was slow and steady, and Ashwath could feel her small frame relax even more.

Ahalya entered the hall, fastening her watch as she walked in. She was dressed in a sharp black and white formal outfit, her back bag slung over one shoulder, ready for a day at the office. Her gaze softened as she took in the scene before her-Ashwath holding their daughter, Nisha, who was reluctant to leave the warmth of his arms.

"Get up, Nisha, you'll be late for school," Ahalya said, her voice a gentle reminder as she turned towards them.

Nisha, barely lifting her head, mumbled a sleepy "No," and clung to Ashwath even tighter, her little arms wrapping around him as if to say she wasn't ready to face the day just yet.

Ashwath couldn't help but smile at her stubbornness. "Aww," he said, turning to Ahalya with a playful grin. "Let her sleep for five more minutes."

Ahalya shook her head, a hint of a smile playing on her lips. "You'll spoil her, Ashwath," she said. With a sigh, she gently pulled Nisha from Ashwath's arms, though Nisha protested with a sleepy whine.

"Ashwath, make sure she's ready before the school bus arrives," Ahalya instructed, her tone a mix of firmness and affection as she handed Nisha over.

"Okay, madam," Ashwath replied with a mock salute, his eyes twinkling with humor. He adjusted Nisha in his arms, holding her securely as he prepared to get her ready for school.

"Please, Ashwath, the bus will be here any minute," Ahalya urged, her voice carrying a hint of impatience as she glanced at the clock.

Ashwath, still holding Nisha, looked at her with mild concern. "Why are you leaving so early?" he asked, noticing that she seemed more hurried than usual.

"It's Friday," Ahalya replied, adjusting the strap of her bag on her shoulder. "I need to stop by the temple on my way to the office."

Ashwath nodded, understanding. "Okay, be careful. Send me the cab details when you get in," he said, he turned and headed inside to get Nisha ready.

"Sure," Ahalya responded with a small smile. She slipped into her sandals and left.

As Ashwath was helping Nisha into her school uniform, she looked up at him with curious eyes and asked, "Why do you always ask her to send the details of the cab?"