CHAPTER 14

Mrs

Mrs. Park Clare had lapsed into a shock that briefly enabled her not only from speaking, but from movement as well. Her mouth hung open, adorned with the red ruby lipstick she reserved for evening wear only and as she began to come to, she looked up at her own teenage daughter, and then at the young girl she claimed to have impregnated.

Jisoo looked like a frightened puppy, her brown eyes looking intensely at Mrs. Park, exemplifying the resemblance.

"Look at her." Clare Park finally spoke, finding a compassion in her that came from the empathy she held for Jisoo's situation.

Once, at eighteen, she had experienced a pregnancy scare, and she couldn't recall ever being more terrified than during that time.

"The poor little thing's shaking like a leaf." Clare said softly. She stood up and walked over to Jisoo, placing a hand on her right shoulder. Truthfully, it wasn't the most natural thing for her, especially when she thought of how this girl might affect Chaeyoung's future.

Still, when she looked at Jisoo, she saw the frightened little girl she knew years before, and the own motherly instincts she had developed through caring for Chaeyoung was jump-started again, towards Jisoo.

"How long have you known?" she asked the two.

"I think I've been pregnant for about a month?" Jisoo offered. "But I've known for a couple of weeks."

"Did you just find out about Chaeyoung ?" Clare turned to her daughter.

She lowered ether eyes to the ground, ashamed for not having told her sooner.

"Actually, I found out about a week ago." She admitted, biting her lip, "But I didn't tell you, because at the time, we planned on Jisoo getting an abortion."

"Oh. So you have already considered.. the alternative." Clare replied.

There was no hiding the disappointment in her voice. Jisoo understood. She felt horrible, practically a stranger to Chaeyoung's mother these days and yet standing in her kitchen, and revealing how drastically she was going to change the future of this woman's daughter.

"Yeah, but it wasn't right for Jisoo." Chaeyoung said, "For us." she quickly added, not wanting to isolate her in her already frightened state.

"So," Mr. Park Mason remained seated at the kitchen table. He had been staring ahead at the wall, and finally looked up at his daughter and Jisoo.

He knew Jisoo, and he knew a lot about her. He taught her in physical education freshman year, being the gym teacher and soccer coach. He'd chaperoned field trips she'd attended, long before she reached high school age.

He heard the things said about her, and stories Chaeyoung told him about her. He even knew her father was back in college. His feelings towards Jisoo had been mixed, since she and his daughter stopped their friendship seven years ago. He didn't always care for the way she treated the other students in school.