Chapter 4 : Bone Marrow Match

Minji drove the Jeep she had personally modified back to the villa. By the time she returned, it was quite late.

Haerin heard the sound of her sister parking the car and waited a moment before calling out. "Unnie,"

"Haerin, why aren't you asleep yet? Don't you have work tomorrow?" Minji asked, startled as she checked her watch. It was already one in the morning.

"I'm the boss, so no one would dare check whether or not I'm at work," Haerin said with a grin, tipping her glass of red wine in invitation. "Why don't we have a drink together?"

Minji raised an eyebrow, tossing her car keys into her pocket before walking over and sitting across from Haerin. She took a sip and frowned. "Why does everyone who's studied abroad like drinking red wine?"

"I personally like the taste. As for everyone else, I wouldn't know," Haerin replied.

"What taste? It doesn't taste good at all," Minji said, disapproving.

"Unnie." Haerin wanted to say more, but she hesitated, unsure how to express herself. She could continue with the flow of the conversation, but she knew her sister would only be playing along.

"Uh... I've been around them for so long that I'm used to talking like this," Minji admitted. She had already noticed how her blunt manner of speaking made her family uncomfortable.

Haerin knew exactly who Minji was referring to. Ever since her sister joined the military, they had slowly grown apart. They no longer chatted, played ball, or even talked about women like they used to when they were younger.

"Unnie, why did you decide to become a special forces soldier?" Haerin asked.

Minji gave her sister a curious look. "I went to a military academy. Why wouldn't I serve as a special forces soldier?"

"True," Haerin smiled. "I just feel like you've changed a lot since you came back. We used to have so much in common."

"Do you think it's because of my time in the military or because of my illness?" Minji asked, casually swirling her glass of wine.

"Unnie, you're better now." Haerin disliked the way her sister regarded herself.

"Do you all really believe that?" Minji laughed bitterly. "If I were truly cured, would you all still tiptoe around me? Would mom still be so busy trying to set me up on blind dates?"

"Unnie!" Haerin didn't want to hear her sister speak that way.

"I know what you're going to say. I've already noticed that I've felt out of place in this family since I came back."

"Unnie, this is your home! This is where you grew up!" Haerin couldn't help but raise her voice. She hated the way her sister treated herself like an outsider.

"What are you doing? Keep your voice down," Minji said, startled as she motioned for Haerin to calm down. "Don't get so worked up."

"I don't want to hear you say things like that. This is your home. How could you say you're out of place here?" Haerin demanded.

Minji hadn't seen her sister lose her composure like this in a long time, especially since Haerin took over Kim Enterprise. Every day, she acted like she had everything under control, and that smug confidence would make her business rivals want to knock her down a peg.

"Stop fooling yourself. In the end, I'm different from all of you," Minji said with a bitter smile, pouring herself another glass of wine.

In truth, Haerin had always wanted to ask what had caused the change in her once-resolute, carefree sister.