Chapter 11 : Bed

Hanni arrived at the hospital a little later than usual, having spent too much time with Minji. As she entered Hyein's hospital ward, she noticed her sister wasn't there.

Hanni stopped a passing nurse and asked, "Excuse me, do you know where my sister went?"

The nurse thought for a moment before replying, "Your sister is in the garden, playing with her friend."

"Thank you." Hanni took the elevator down and made her way to the garden through a side door. As she approached, she heard Hyein's laughter echoing across the small lawn.

Hyein, dressed in a hospital gown, was playing ball with her friend, both of them chasing each other with pure joy.

Seeing her sister grow more lively each day made Hanni feel both happy and melancholic. I got married today, but I don't know how to tell you, she thought.

"Unnie!" Hyein suddenly spotted her sister standing behind a flowering shrub. She smiled brightly, waved, and handed the ball to her friend before running toward Hanni.

Hanni frowned slightly. "Slow down."

Obediently, Hyein slowed her pace and grinned. "The doctor said since I'm young, I'll recover quickly. They even think I might be discharged earlier than expected."

"That's great, but all the more reason to be careful," Hanni replied. "I want you to be discharged as soon as possible."

"Okay," Hyein said, taking the tissue Hanni handed her to wipe the sweat from her forehead. "Unnie, you're late today. Did something happen?"

Hanni hesitated, her mind turning over how to break the news about her marriage. If it had been a temporary arrangement, she might've kept it a secret. But this was a long-term commitment. She couldn't hide it forever, especially if Hyein started to wonder why her wife hadn't visited the hospital.

Hyein was smart and would definitely sense something was up, and there was always the chance Minji wouldn't play along.

"Unnie? Unnie?"

"Huh?" Hanni snapped out of her thoughts.

"You seemed lost in thought. I called your name a few times," Hyein said, her expression filled with concern. "Have you been overworking yourself?"

"I'm fine." Hanni glanced around and gestured toward a bench in the corner. "Hyein, let's sit down for a moment."

Though Hyein had a nagging feeling that something was off, she followed Hanni to the bench. After they sat down, she turned to her sister. "Unnie, is there something you want to tell me?"

Hanni took Hyein's hand, smiling gently. After a moment of silence, she said, "I've been up to something recently, and I'm not sure how to tell you."

"We're sisters, Hanni. There's no need to hesitate," Hyein replied, her brows furrowed in concern.

"I'm just worried you'll ask too many questions when I'm still trying to figure things out myself," Hanni admitted with a small smile.

Ever since their parents had passed away, the two sisters had only each other. They shared everything, both the good and the bad, which made it even more difficult for Hyein to understand what her sister could be hiding. But she also knew that everyone has secrets.

"I'm not going to pry," Hyein said softly. "If it's too hard to talk about, that's okay."

Hanni seemed relieved to hear that, and without further hesitation, she blurted, "I got married."

"What?!" Hyein leaped up from the bench, her eyes wide. "Who did you marry? What does that person do? Have I met them? How long have you two been together? Wait, I don't remember you ever telling me you had a partner!"