Chapter 14 : The Family Dinner

It was Sunday. Since this was the Kim and Pham families first meeting as in-laws, the dinner was essentially a wedding reception for Hanni and Minji. Scheduled for 6 o'clock in the evening, the event took place on the top floor of La Yeon, an exquisite restaurant within The Shilla Hotel, which the Kim family had reserved entirely for the occasion.

Minji checked the time, brought Kai along, and drove her Jeep to Hanni's home.

Hanni wore a pastel pink, short dress paired with matching pastel pink high heels that made her long legs appear even more slender. She stood tall and graceful, like a lotus blooming in a pond.

Upon hearing Minji's Jeep approach, Hanni ran her hand through her long hair, which had been tousled by the wind. When she spotted Minji's face through the windshield, a slow smile spread across her lips.

Minji momentarily froze, thinking she might've pressed the brakes a bit too hard. After staring blankly at her wife, she glanced back at Kai. Seeing that her son was still focused on his jigsaw puzzle, Minji sighed in relief.

By then, Hanni had opened the front passenger door and slipped inside. She smiled at Minji and said, "Let's go."

Minji's eyes roamed from Hanni's face down to her neck, and then lower to her chest, eventually landing on Hanni's thighs.

Hanni couldn't help but notice Minji's gaze. Slightly exasperated, she looked back at her wife with a tight-lipped smile. "If you want to kiss me, just do it now. I'll fix my makeup afterward."

Minji narrowed her eyes and hesitantly asked, "Are you inviting me?"

"If that's what you think..."

"Then I won't hold back."

A familiar Jeep, a familiar passenger seat, and Minji's increasingly skilled kissing technique. For the first time, Hanni reached out and embraced her wife on her own. It was the first time she offered her lips willingly, without any prompting from Minji. This time, she did it because she wanted to.

Often, people don't know what they need or should do. But once Hanni realized she wanted to spend the rest of her life with Minji, she threw her whole heart into it. From the moment she promised her wife she would slowly fall in love, she saw the road ahead. I'm willing to walk toward you and stand by your side. If happiness is hard to find, I'm willing to search for it with you.

Minji reluctantly pulled away from Hanni's lips. She gently brushed her thumb across her wife's flushed cheeks, waiting for her to open her eyes.

Click..

Kai pressed a puzzle piece into place with more force than necessary, creating a sound that startled both Minji and Hanni.

Hanni turned around and realized Kai had been sitting quietly in the backseat the whole time. She quickly straightened up and pushed Minji away. "Kai, did you come along to pick up mommy? I'm sorry I didn't notice you earlier." She smiled awkwardly.

Kai glanced at Hanni before turning his attention back to the game.

"Why didn't you tell me Kai was here?" Hanni said, suddenly annoyed that she had been so bold in front of a six-year-old.

Minji wasn't about to take the blame. "Who told you to seduce me as soon as you got in?"

"I—" Hanni began, but despite this not being the first time Minji had thrown her under the bus, she was still frustrated. "Let's go. We're going to be late."

Minji smiled and finally started the car. The road was surprisingly clear, and they arrived at The Shilla Hotel ten minutes early.

Minji picked up Kai and glanced at her wife, signaling to follow as they entered the building. Hanni hesitated briefly before scurrying forward to take Minji's right hand.