Chapter 13 : I'll Be Your Mommy

At a shopping center, Minji brought Kai to pick out a new set of jigsaw puzzles. She was browsing on her phone, casually tossing whichever puzzles Kai wanted into the shopping cart.

The cashier eyed the three large and complex jigsaw puzzle sets with a hint of admiration. "You must be quite the puzzle enthusiast," she remarked.

Minji chuckled. "Not me, but my son is."

The cashier was astonished, glancing at the little boy sitting quietly in the cart.

After paying, Minji pushed the shopping cart toward the parking lot. On the way, she turned to Kai. "Why hasn't your mommy reached out the past few days? She didn't even use the credit card I gave her. Could it be she doesn't want to buy anything?"

Minji remembered the last time she saw Hanni's peculiar expression. She seemed like she'd realized something but immediately denied it. "Could she not want my credit card? That doesn't sound right, she clearly likes money. Or maybe she prefers stocks? But I can't give her my shares in the company..."

"How about we invite her to dinner?" Minji thought it was a brilliant idea. "You still haven't properly met her since she became your mommy. What do you think?"

Kai however, was completely absorbed in his new jigsaw puzzle sets and didn't pay attention to his mother's musings. Taking his silence as agreement, Minji loaded the items into the car and sent Hanni a message on Line.

Minji: I'll come pick you up for dinner.

Hanni who was sketching in a quiet cafe, heard the notification and checked her phone. She frowned at the message. After a brief hesitation, she sent Minji her current location.

Upon receiving the reply, Minji smiled in satisfaction and started the car. About half an hour later, she arrived at the cafe, carrying Kai. She spotted Hanni sitting in a corner right away.

A waitress approached them. "Table for how many?" She asked.

Minji shook her head, pointing toward Hanni. The waitress nodded in understanding and stepped aside. Minji set Kai down and took her son's hand as they slowly walked over to her wife.

Hanni looked up when Minji's shadow fell across her drawing. "You're here," she said, a smile lighting up her face.

For a moment, Minji was dazzled by her wife's radiant smile. She blinked before leaning in to place a light kiss on the corner of Hanni's mouth.

By now, Hanni was used to these gestures, Minji kissed her every time they met. Her eyes followed Minji's arm down to the little boy, whose head barely reached the table.

"Is this Kai?" Hanni asked.

"Yes," Minji replied with a nod, offering no further explanation.

As a children's clothing designer, Hanni adored kids, and Kai was irresistibly cute. She left her seat, crouched down in front of Kai, and smiled warmly. "Hello, Kai, my name is Hanni."

Kai looked at Hanni but didn't respond.

Surprised, Hanni glanced up at Minji. "Does he not like me?"

"He just doesn't talk much."

The Kim family had only told Hanni's second uncle's family that Kai was the orphaned child of one of Minji's comrades. No one had mentioned anything about his condition, so Hanni was unaware.

Hanni tried again. "Do you remember auntie? That day in the hotel lobby, auntie accidentally bumped into you and knocked your toy to the ground."

Kai blinked but remained silent.