Chapter 7 : Meet Up

Every Friday, the Kim family would have dinner together. In passing, they would chat about what happened that week, but Jennie spent most of this time gossiping. When she started gossiping, the rest of the family lowered their heads and silently ate without expressing much interest in what she said.

Jennie got bored and used her chopsticks to feed her grandson, Kai, some vegetables.

"Mom, boys should eat more meat," Minji said.

"What do you know? Kids should have a well-balanced and nutritious diet. When you get married and move out, make sure you aren't feeding Kai solely non-vegetarian dishes," Jennie warned.

Hearing this, Taehyung remembered to ask Haerin, "How is the cooperation with the Pham family coming along?"

"They've already signed it. Tomorrow, I'll ask the finance department to issue the first payment." After saying this, Haerin glanced at Jennie and said, "Mom, you can begin making preparations for the wedding."

"Really? Then I'll need to properly discuss this with Mrs. Pham since I'm not sure what kind of wedding Hanni wants." Seeing how her daughter's wedding was finally set in stone, she was suddenly overcome with excitement.

Minji looked over at her mother, who was overcome with excitement. Amused, she asked, "Why didn't you ask me what kind of wedding I want?"

Jennie was very happy to hear that her daughter had expectations for the wedding. "You have something in mind? Let's hear it."

"Why do you have to overcomplicate things? We'll just get our marriage certificate and leave it at that," Minji responded.

"No!" Jennie immediately expressed her disapproval. "Marriage is such an important matter. How can you be so casual about it?"

"You want to organize the most luxurious wedding of the century, then invite a bunch of distinguished strangers from the business world to it and have me perform on stage like some monkey. Just thinking about it annoys me." Minji seemed to really dislike such settings. Her expression darkened as she spoke.

Jennie had been keeping in mind everything that Dr. Lee had explained to her. As soon as she saw her eldest daughter's change in attitude, she didn't dare to press any further. She glanced at her husband and second daughter for help.

Taehyung took the hint and said, "It's fine if we don't hold a grand wedding, as long as the two of them like it."

"Yeah, that's right. We still have to take Hanni into account." Jennie regained a new sense of hope. "Most girls dream of having a grand wedding. Oh, by the way, it's quite popular for newlyweds to go on a honeymoon."

Haerin chimed in and exhorted, "Yeah, unnie. Why don't you discuss this with Miss Hanni before making any final decisions?"

Minji didn't continue to dwell on the wedding ceremony any further. Instead, her mind was elsewhere, thinking about the honeymoon that her mother just brought up. It seemed like such a long time ago that she had been hunkering down with her comrades deep within the mountains. At that time, they had chatted about this very topic. They were talking about their future, their weddings, and their other halves. It seemed like everyone had wonderful hopes and dreams, yet she was the only one who made it to this stage.

Jennie couldn't tell what her eldest daughter was thinking again. There was a sad look on her face. She couldn't help but gently call out her name. "Minji?"

Minji abruptly snapped out of it and saw how worried her mother was. She also noticed the concerned expressions on her father's and younger sister's faces and felt powerless all over again. It was happening again. Every time she had mood swings, everyone in her family treated her as if they were walking on thin ice. It was almost as if she were a fragile vase that would break with a single touch. But the more they acted this way, the more ill at ease she felt, and the more they worried about her. This was simply a vicious cycle.