nine

At dinner that evening, Evaelysse sat between Jace and Baela, opposite her father and Rhaenyra. Evaelysse couldn't say she felt comfortable at the table, considering the events that took place earlier that day.

King Viserys had to be carried in due to his weak condition, and he was sat between his wife and his eldest daughter. Aemond had a slight smirk on his face, and he raised an eyebrow when he noticed Evaelysse watching him.

"How good it is...to see you all tonight." Viserys wheezed. "Together."

"Prayer before we begin?" Queen Alicent asked, to which Viserys agreed. "May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the Gods give him rest."

Evaelysse tried her hardest to not catch her father's eye as she struggled to keep a smirk off her face.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems." Viserys said, once Alicent was done. "My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Evaelysse and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses."

Evaelysse caught Jace watching her as Viserys said that, which she smiled at. She was happy to marry Jace. He was kind, and handsome, and she did like him. Evaelysse just felt sorry for Baela, as she still hadn't been betrothed to anyone.

"A toast to the young Princes...and their betrothed." Viserys continued, raising his cup. Evaelysse did so too, as did everyone else at the table.

"Well done Jace." Evaelysse heard Aegon mutter. "You'll finally get to lie with a woman."

"Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys." Viserys said. "the future Lord of the Tides."

Everyone raised their glasses again. Evaelysse leant back in her chair, surveying the table. Aegon was slightly drunk. Helaena didn't seem quite with it. And Aemond was staring at Luke, oddly enough.

"You do know how the act is done, I assume?" Aegon continued muttering to Jace. "At least in principle. Where to put your cock and all that."

"Let it be, cousin." Evaelysse smiled slightly at Aegon. She knew he had wished to marry her, and still did, despite being married to Helaena, and having two children.

"You can play the jester if you wish, but hold your tongue before my betrothed." Jace muttered back to him.

'Mhm' was all Aegon said in return.

Viserys tapped his cane on the ground, and then shakily got to his feet, breathing heavily.

"It both gladdens my heart," He coughed. "and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world...yet grown so distant from each other...in the years past."

The king looked to his wife, before slowly reaching a hand up and removing the gold mask from his face. Underneath was a sight Evaelysse didn't want to see. Half his face was rotting, and his eye was completely gone. Quite frankly, it had put Evaelysse off her dinner.

"My own face...is no longer a handsome one...if indeed it ever was." Viserys chuckled softly. "But tonight...I wish you to see me...as I am. Not just a king...but your father. Your brother. Your husband. Your uncle...and your grandsire. Who may not, it seems...walk for much longer among you."

Evaelysse didnt thinking he was walking among them at all, and it seemed Aemond had the same thought, because he caught her eye and smirked.

"Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The crown cannot stand strong if the House of the Dragon remains divided. But set aside your grievances. If not for the sake of the crown...then for the sake of this old man...who loves you all so dearly." It all seemed too much for Viserys, because he fell back into his chair, wheezing heavily.