Chapter 1: The First Client

It's a beautiful day outside. The sky is clear, the sun shining brightly in the middle of the sky, and the birds are chirping happily.

With such a perfect day right outside, I naturally spent it sleeping in without a care in the world.

"Zzzz..."

"...up."

"Snore...."

"Wake... up!"

Whomp!

"Wha-!"

The sudden attack caused me to immediately jump out of my slumber. However, my half-awake body couldn't perform such demands, causing my upper body to simply flop out of the couch weakly. The pillow that struck me earlier softly fell to the floor right next to me. With my head upside down, I looked toward the perpetrator behind the attack.

In front of me stood my assistant, a young lady with lightly tanned skin and short black hair that I've grown accustomed to. She sported her regular attire; a light denim jacket, red tank top, and baggy jeans. An unamused expression was plastered on her face, as per usual.

Without a change in her expression, she asked, "It's already past noon, detective. Are you planning on sleeping through the whole day?"

"Come on, Sari. I was just... Hmm... Ah, yes! I was just simulating a case in my mind. You know, to keep my mind fresh." I crafted a reasonable excuse in a hurry.

"While using a blanket and a pillow?" Sari asked once more.

"...They help me focus better?" I answered, sounding unsure of my own response.

"Right, say that when you don't have a trail of drool running down your mouth, detective. Just go and wash your face before a client sees your face," Sadi commented.

"What client? There haven't been any clients for weeks..." I grumbled under my breath before trudging toward the bathroom. After washing my face in the sink, I wiped it dry and took a look in the mirror.

Within the reflection of the mirror stood a man who had seen better days. My curly brown hair was greasy and messy as a bird's nest, prompting me to run my hands through it to fix it as best as I could. Seeing the strong resistance it put up, I decided to concede and allow it yet another victory. Thankfully, my facial hair that had grown into a stubble seemed tolerable enough for now. Satisfied with my work, I exited the bathroom to see Sari in the middle of cleaning the couch that I just slept in.

She took a look at me and muttered, "Hm, at least you look tolerable now."

"Bah, you just can't appreciate someone with good looks. The ladies used to clamor about how handsome I was back in the day. I even had my own fan club back then," I commented proudly while rubbing my bearded chin.

"Good thing those ladies aren't here now, their eyes might've shriveled right out of their sockets if they see you now." Sari replied harshly without a change in her expression.

"Tsk..."

Unable to reply against her witty response, I sat on the leather chair in front of the couch Sari was cleaning. After tidying the couch that I slept on, she began picking up the newspaper strewn around on the coffee table between the couch and my leather chair. On one of the pages, a title was printed in huge letters.

"World Renowned Detective Turned Fraud: See the truth behind the prodigy that tricked the world for twenty years!"

Sari's eyes lingered on it before asking, "Are you really not going to do anything about these rumors?"

"What can I really do about it? Those damned criminal gangs planned everything to drag my name into the mud. Hell, I was lucky enough to escape their entrapment with my life and meet you," I shrugged my shoulders in response.