Chapter 4: It's a Chase!

Startled by my shout, Zeta finally noticed the girl standing next to me. She immediately pointed at Kaela as she stuttered, "K-Kaela?? You hired a detective to find me?!"

Kaela simply crossed her arms calmly, "You're the one that ran away, what am I supposed to do? Let's go back already."

"N-No! I don't wanna!" Zeta cried out her refusal with a pout.

The quarrel between them continued in front of us. As I watched it go on, numerous questions kept popping up inside my head.

'Is she actually a cat? Her hair buns kind of look like cat ears, but I don't see a tail on her... Wait, more importantly, didn't she say she's a secret agent? Can a cat even become a secret agent? How does that even work... Wait, no! There's something more important that I have to do!'

My head immediately turned toward Sari. Even if the current situation didn't make any sense, I could at least enjoy seeing her flabbergasted expression for the first time. Her usual stone-faced expression will finally break today!

"Damn, I guess I should've expected her to be the cat. I guess I still have a lot to learn..." Sari grumbled in annoyance instead.

'Huh? What kind of bullshit is she saying right now?'

For some reason, she felt dissatisfied at herself for not figuring it out herself. But how were you supposed to figure out the girl was the cat in the first place? Is this kind of thinking the one you're supposed to have in this country?

'...I give up. I'm a believer now. The girl's a cat, no way around it.' I nodded to myself and decided to stop delving deeper.

I felt like I'd lost a piece of myself today, but it probably wasn't something too important if it allowed me to continue with this case. Speaking of the case, I recollected myself to tune back into Kaela and Zeta's argument.

When I finally focused on them, I spotted Zeta sulking, "I'm not doing it! Whatever, I'm leaving! Hmph!" Before I could do anything about it, Zeta had already fled once more.

"H-Hey! Why did you just let her go?! Didn't you want us to get her?" I asked Kaela.

"Yeah, I did." Kaela answered without a change in her expression. "Then go get her again."

Her audacity left me speechless. Am I supposed to be a dog playing fetch?

Kaela explained, "I failed to convince her earlier, so she decided to run away from me again. But that's why you're here, right? Come on, go chase her already. It would be harder to find her if she got away, you know?"

"Are you kidding me?! You're the one that lost her!" I complained right away at her nonchalant request.

"Then find her again. I mean, that's what I'm going to pay you for. Or did you not want to get paid? Haish, what kind of detective are you?" Kaela complained while shaking her head.

Frustration began to build up from her shameless act. But with my paycheck and my honor as a detective on the line, there was only one thing left for me to do.

"Goddamniiiiit!!! Sari, come on! We got ourselves a chase!"

"Yes, detective!"

Under my command, we began chasing after the runaway cat. Luckily, we managed to find her among the crowd. Her silver hair made it easy to spot her.

I cried out, "Hey, stop right there!"

"Eeek!" Upon seeing us giving chase, Zeta ended up running even faster.

"Did you really think she was going to stop if you asked her?" Sari asked me.

"Might as well try... Huff... Damn, this sucks." I huffed out my response in between my labored breaths. Although I was used to giving chase as a detective, my stamina had definitely seen better days.