🌟 Introduction🌟

∆ A New Start ∆

The door creaked as Y/N nudged it open, her fingers trembling from a mix of exhaustion and something she couldn’t quite name—hope? Anxiety? The stale scent of dust and old wood filled the air, remnants of a forgotten life that once remained here. She dropped her worn duffle bag- the only stuff she owned inside it-just inside the doorway and stepped into the small studio apartment.

It wasn’t much. A single room with cracked white walls and a window that barely let in the gray light of the overcast sky. The bed was little more than a thin mattress on a wooden frame, and the kitchenette consisted of an old stove and a sink that might’ve seen better days in the last century.

Y/N ran a hand through her hair and let out a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding. This was her fresh start. Or at least, it was supposed to be.

She walked over to the window and pulled back the faded curtain. Outside, the town looked just as tired as she felt—rows of old buildings, streets with barely any people, and a sky that seemed perpetually stuck in twilight. Not much had changed since she’d been here last, but then again, she had only vague memories of this place from when she was small.

The studio apartment was all she could afford with what was left of the money from the envelope. It wasn’t much, but it was enough to get by. For now.

She turned away from the window and glanced at the small stack of papers on the tiny table by the bed—her birth certificate, creased and worn, her social security number, and the few belongings from the package the lawyer had handed her.

The name. That barely visible name on the birth certificate. It was the only lead she had on finding him. Her father.

Y/N grabbed the paper, rubbing her thumb over the faded ink. She’d spent years imagining who he might be, why he’d left. And now, after all this time, she was finally in the town she was born in. The people here acted like they didn’t know him, but Y/N could see the flicker of recognition in their eyes whenever she asked. They knew something. They were hiding something.

She just had to figure out what.

With a heavy sigh, she sat on the edge of the bed. The room was quiet, too quiet, except for the distant hum of traffic and the occasional creak from the floorboards beneath her feet. She felt the familiar knot of loneliness twist in her stomach—something that had been with her for as long as she could remember.

*No friends. No family. Just me, she thought bitterly.

But this wasn’t the group home. This was her life now. Her chance to find answers, to figure out who she was beyond the troubled kid everyone else had seen. And maybe—just maybe—she’d find her father along the way.

Her phone buzzed in her pocket, snapping her out of her thoughts. It was a message from the temp agency: *Job confirmed: Circus Baby's Pizza World – Night Shift.*

Y/N stared at the screen for a moment before she tapped the search bar, typing in the name of the place. It didn’t take long for her to figure out that it wasn’t far—a thirty-minute walk from her dingy studio apartment.

She had a few hours before she had to leave, though. The woman from the temp agency had sent an email with instructions, or rather, a lack of them. According to the email, there wouldn’t be an interview. No formal introduction. No one to meet or train her. Just a set of vague guidelines that said, The job will teach you what to do.

Y/N frowned at the screen. It all seemed shady—too easy, too impersonal. The type of job that sounded like a scam or a setup. But she couldn’t afford to focus on that. She needed a job, something to hold onto. If she didn’t get paid, she’d be out on the streets, and that was a fate she had already spent a lifetime trying to avoid.

She glanced around the tiny room, her gaze landing on the birth certificate and papers resting on the small table by the bed once more, Finding her father had been the only thing keeping her going lately. It had pulled her here to this strange town. She would figure that part out eventually. But for now? She had to focus on surviving.

Y/N grabbed her jacket and tossed it onto the bed before lying down on the creaky mattress. She stared at the cracked ceiling, trying to steady her thoughts. The job seemed like a necessary risk, but there was an uneasy weight in her chest she couldn’t shake.