~ 09 ~

∆ Wandering Thoughts ∆

Arriving home, the early morning sun was barely starting to peek through the clouds.

You collapsed into your creaky bed, groaning dramatically into the pillow.

The night had gone… smoothly? At least, you think so. But that damn fox was so hard to read. One minute, he was sarcastic and cruel; and the next, he was… well, still sarcastic, but there was something underneath it. Something you couldn’t quite place.

At least he seemed to have responded well to everything—especially the drawing.

Maybe you'd bring some colored pencils for him to use next time. You could even suggest a silly drawing challenge, like the ones you’d seen on social media.

But your thoughts didn't run for long as you drifted off to sleep.

You awoke to a ding from your phone.

Squinting at the bright screen, you saw a text from Zach.

-“You up? Was wondering if you'd like to grab breakfast with me :)”

You stared at the message for a moment, conflicted. Part of you wanted to say no. You were too tired and busy for things like that. But the other part—the part that craved normalcy after the bizarre world you’d thrown yourself into—thought maybe a breakfast date would be a nice distraction.

Plus, food did sound pretty good.

-”Sure, why not,” you typed back, hitting send before you could rethink it.

You sat up slowly, rubbing the remnants of sleep from your eyes, and headed to your closet. You wanted something comfortable, but you also didn’t want to look like you’d just rolled out of bed. After some deliberation, you settled on a simple f/c long-sleeve paired with some faded black jeans. Casual, but still put-together.

As you pulled on your clothes, Zach’s message came through, letting you know where to meet him. You took a deep breath, grabbed your phone and wallet, and made your way out the door, a slight feeling of unease settling in the pit of your stomach. It had been a while since you’d gone out with someone, at least for something as casual as this.

When you arrived at the small café, the scent of sizzling sausage, warm pancakes, and freshly brewed coffee hit you before you even stepped inside. It was cozy, with soft lighting and the low hum of conversations filling the air, a welcome contrast to the usual chaos of your nights.

Zach was already seated at a corner table, looking up with a smile as he spotted you. He waved you over, his eyes scanning you from head to toe in a way that made you feel both flattered and self-conscious.

“You look nice,” he said, his gaze lingering a bit too long.

A blush crept up your cheeks, and you smiled, feeling a mix of embarrassment and warmth from the compliment. “Thank you.”

His words were friendly, and yet, something about the way he looked at you left an uncomfortable flutter in your stomach, though you couldn’t quite pinpoint why. You tried to brush it off, focusing instead on the smells of the café and the prospect of a simple, peaceful morning with good food and decent company.

You and Zach exchanged light conversation as you both ate, the atmosphere in the café warm and comfortable. You laughed at his jokes, enjoying the simple act of sharing a meal. But as the minutes passed, his touches became more frequent—his hand lingering too long on your arm when he chuckled, his knee brushing against yours under the table in a way that felt less like an accident and more like a statement. Every chance he got, he leaned in just a little closer, his presence almost overwhelming.