[ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐨𝐬 𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 ]

———————————————
                          𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐃 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕:

Under the setting sun, Aurora strolled along an empty road, with no specific destination in mind. All she knew was she needed to get away. Just for some time.

She watched as the marigold display in the sky slowly faded to a blueish-grey.

The trees on either side of the road arched over her. The evening breeze sweeping through their branches, caressing the leaves to create soft whispers.

Aurora gazed back down at her beat-up trainers, kicking along a small pebble as she took each step.

She thought back to that morning, seeing the mark on their front door. How could he not tell her? She wanted an answer, a reason.

Derek was just going to tell her that he wanted to keep her safe, like he usually did.

So she didn't go home.

She kicked the rock harsher this time, sending it off of the tarmac and into the forest, amongst the autumnal leaves.

She paused, looking out into the woodland. The silence called her.

Stepping off of the road, the twigs and undergrowth snapped beneath her. The leaves had parted slightly, creating a small pathway. Somebody had probably been down here already.

She tucked her hands into her pockets, continuing down the path, still peering down at her shoes. She mumbled incoherently, going on about her frustration.

After a little while of walking, the night sky had shifted to a sinister smile of ebony. She should've probably turned back, but she carried on, fuelled by her anger.

As she walked deeper into the wood, the noises had minimised to her footsteps against the leaves and the occasional hoot of an owl.

Eventually, she glanced up from her feet. And was met with a surreal view.

Before her, was a huge tree stump. And upon it, was a small, black wolf. Saliva frothed at its mouth, heavy gasps erupting from its lungs. Its head hung low, facing away from Aurora.

The animal's eyes reflected the glint of moonlight through the tree canopy, the fur underneath its eyes lighter than the rest.

The girl took a cautious step forward, "Mika?" She almost whispered.

It responded with a furious snarl.

The familiar snap of twigs sounded from behind her, her head whipping round quickly. She turned back to the wolf to see it had vanished along with the tree stump.

"I could've sworn..."

Terror seized her, an eerie feeling deep inside that something wasn't right, sending her sprinting back the way she came.

                      ———————————————

Dull rays of sunlight spilled in through the windows of the bare loft. It was a particularly gloomy morning, fog blanketing over the surrounding area like a miserable shadow.

Aurora had arrived home at around midnight. After the incident in the woods, she couldn't sleep at all. The familiar, low growl of the wolf reiterating in her mind.

She sat on a large table positioned in the centre of the loft. Her legs hung lazily off of the side, swaying back and forth.

Behind her, Isaac passed through the hints of day flooding into the room, pacing nervously. Derek sat at the table, watching him patiently.