Chapter 10

Arthur's PoV

I have been in a good mood since yesterday. I think I am going to hit a lottery.

The most comical incident was when my wife thought I married her for power. Her naivety made me laugh my heart out.

She lied about losing a ring and tried to escape. A unique plan indeed. The guard will be punished appropriately for failing to conduct his duty by Paul.

"Andrew, did she move into my room?" I asked him. She will stay in my room from now onwards. I don't use my room much anyway.

My father is going to be here tomorrow. We don't have to pretend to be a happy couple but he needs to know that she is treated with respect. Rumours spread faster in the organisation.

"Yes, Capo."

Women not respected have a dreadful fate in our world. They are exploited as sex slaves in exchange for deals and favours.

It doesn't matter what kind of relationship I and my wife share in private but she will be respected in front of the world.

"What did you find?" I asked Andrew. We have sent out spies to dig dirt on that woman.

According to my wife's talks at the dining table, her sister went to study in London, but the real question is how she ended up at Antony's house.

"Antony found her and her sister on the streets in front of his store. They were homeless, Antony pitied them and took them in."

Sister? My wife never set foot outside her country till she married me.

"Her sister?"

"Meera Maheshwari," he said with an accent.

They lied, that is the only reasonable explanation. I can't express my delight in words. I will make that woman beg for mercy.

"Call her, Andrew. Let's start our day with a triumph." Andrew dialled her number and put it on speaker.

"Hello," I said.

"Hello, Mr Romano. Please stop calling me at odd times, my husband might think I am cheating on him," she said annoyed.

Just wait woman.

"I found something interesting, Samaira."

"Samaira?"

"I am your cousin's husband. I think I have the liberty to call you by your first name."

"Sure, Arthur. Go ahead." I chuckled. I will make sure she bows down to me.

"So, as I was saying, I found a fascinating piece of information. How did you and your fake sister end up at Antony's place?"

There was complete silence on the other end of the call.

"Imagine neighbourhood finding out about the little play of yours. What did you tell me the punishment was for trickery? Death?" I continued. Her silence gave the satisfaction even her words would have failed to.

All of a sudden I heard her loud laughs. I looked at Andrew in confusion. Did I crack a joke? Andrew looked as confused as I was.

She stopped laughing all of a sudden and silence engulfed the room.

"I overestimated you, Arthur," she said in a dangerous voice.

The rage in me was fighting my sanity to erupt.

"Have you finally lost it?" I asked irritated. This is not the reaction I anticipated to get.

"Didn't your spy inform you that I was already put to trial and paid the price?" she asked.