1: The race of Fate

"Let's get a divorce."

Staring at the divorce papers on the coffee table, Quach Phuong remained motionless. Whether it was calmness before the storm or a pain so intense that it paralyzed her limbs, only she knew.

"Tan Duat, I'm pregnant!" Quach Phuong suddenly raised her head to look at him, her dove-like eyes curved as if she was very happy to announce the good news, ignoring the other man's coldness towards her.

Tan Duat furrowed his brows, clearly very unhappy with the idea of her being pregnant. He asked in an icy tone: "I told you to take birth control pills, and you didn't take them?"
Quach Phuong smiled: "It's my body, I have the right to decide."

Tan Duat suddenly found her smile extremely dazzling, and replied discontentedly: "Quach Phuong, have you forgotten what our agreement was when we got married? Three years ago, I agreed to marry you because it was my grandfather's wish. Now that he's gone and Nhan Tinh has returned, I no longer have any reason to continue this marriage. We should get a divorce."

How could Quach Phuong not know who Nhan Tinh was? Not only did she know, but she also knew very well. Nhan Tinh was Tan Duat's first love, and the love of his life. There was also a complicated connection between Quach Phuong and Nhan Tinh. Years ago, two babies were born on the same day, but a nurse had accidentally swapped them, leading to an exchange of identities. It wasn't until 18 years later that this was discovered.

Quach Phuong was originally the high-born daughter of the Ngo family, but she had become an orphan. Nhan Tinh had taken her identity for over 18 years, and even won the love that should have been hers.

In this race of fate, Quach Phuong had lost miserably. Sometimes, she even deeply resented Nhan Tinh. If it weren't for her, if she had been able to live her true identity, would she have been Tan Duat's childhood sweetheart? Would he have loved her?

The more Quach Phuong thought about it, the more bitter she felt. She bit her lip and lowered her head: "What about the baby?"

Tan Duat remained silent, but then answered a moment later: "Get rid of it!"

Even though she already knew the answer early on, Quach Phuong still felt pain, heart-wrenching pain. Under her stomach, every pang of agony was transmitted, she didn't know whether it was because the child inside her could feel its father's indifference, or if it was because of the cruel disease ravaging inside of her.

Perhaps even both.

Quach Phuong tried to hold back her tears, and heard her voice tremble: "Tan Duat, from beginning to end, you never had any feelings for me?"

Tan Duat was slightly stunned, not expecting Quach Phuong to ask him such a question. However, he felt that she was only intentionally trying to prolong the divorce proceedings.

"Never. The only person I love is Nhan Tinh. Don't do pointless things anymore." Tan Duat took his coat and stood up: "I have to go pick Nhan Tinh up. Take your time to sign the divorce papers, I won't let you leave with nothing, so whatever you need, I'll leave to you. if you have any other requests, just wait until I come back then we can talk."

Looking at Tan Duat's fading figure, Quach Phuong's tears finally fell. She bit her lip until it bled, whispering to herself: "Tan Duat, I understand."

It turned out that not loving, simply meant not loving. No matter how much Quach Phuong sacrificed or loved him, it still wouldn't change his mind.

She only told him that she was pregnant, but did not tell him she had late-stage cervical cancer. If she wanted treatment, she would have to get an abortion, which was exactly what Tan Duat had wanted.

Quach Phuong pulled the divorce papers on the table closer, and read all the terms from start to finish. Then, decisively, she signed the divorce papers. Seven years of unrequited love, and three years of marriage had been enough to break Quach Phuong's heart. Her body was no longer able to endure this foolish love.

If she were to undergo treatment now, she could only hope to live for another five years at most. But with her weak body, she feared that even three years might be out of reach.

Putting the divorce papers in her bag, Quach Phuong wiped her tears, and took a car to the hospital.

The abortion surgery proceeded very quickly, taking only about 20 minutes, and she hadn't even felt any pain. But she knew, there was no physical pain comparable to the agony of having to kill her own child.

That was her baby, it hadn't even taken shape yet.

Quach Phuong hurriedly left the hospital room; she didn't want to stay here for another second. She felt very scared, and struggling to breathe.

Along the hospital corridor, onlookers witnessed a young, delicate woman walking while crying. Her sobs made others feel uncomfortable, yet sorry for her.

Quach Phuong kept going in one direction, and was in no mood to pay attention to others. Right at that moment, a male doctor had stopped in front of her. Quach Phuong was caught off guard and bumped into him, her tears and snot sticking to his white blouse. She apologized profusely, her voice choked up: "I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to, are you okay?"

She only saw the young doctor lower his head, reaching out to wipe her tears, he jokingly said: "Quach Phuong, I haven't seen you for three years and you're still as pathetic as the first day we met."