2: It was worth a thousand arrows through the heart

It was past 11 o'clock at night when Tan Duat returned home.

He thought Quach Phuong would be asleep by now. But unexpectedly, just like any other day, she still stayed up all night waiting for him to return.

The dining room light was brightly lit, and she was sitting upright in front of the prepared dining table, unaware of how long she had been there. Quach Phuong heard the noise, and turned her head to look past the entrance. Seeing Tan Duat, a smile involuntarily appeared on her lips. (The corner of her lips suddenly lifted into a smile?)

"You're back?"

Quach Phuong stepped forward to take off his coat for him, but Tan Duan didn't hesitate to stop her, and hung up his coat on the coat rack by himself.

Her smile seemed somewhat unnatural: "What's wrong? Normally, I always help you hang up your coat, don't I?

"Quach Phuong, our situation is now different from before. Don't make me feel even more disgusted." Tan Duat frowned and walked past her.

Quach Phuong silently lowered her head, clutching the hem of her dress tightly. She thought that the past three years of love between husband and wife could move him, but when Nhan Tinh returned, everything had become meaningless.

Later, when Tan Duat had married her, he said his favorite dish was red bean buns. But she knew Tan Duat didn't like anything related to beans; he only liked them because Nhan Tinh did. Even though Quach Phuong clearly knew this, she still diligently learned how to make red bean buns, becoming so skilled that even her friends had advised her to open a shop.

However, Tan Duat only tasted them once and then told her not to make them again. Later on, she discovered that every time Tan Duat got off work, he would buy red bean buns from the same shop, even once sitting in the car, with tears streaming down his face as he ate.

In that moment, she knew that no matter how much she changed for him in this life, she could never replace Nhan Tinh's place in his heart.

Love was foolish like that. Clinging on to someone who didn't love you was like embracing a cactus; the more you hold onto it, the more painful it becomes. There will be a lot of blood, but just for the chance of having their gaze turned towards you once, was worth a thousand arrows through the heart.

Tan Duat finished his shower and stepped out only to find Quach Duong sitting quietly at the dining table. She then spoke again: "Tan Duat, let's eat!"

Tan Duat decided to change the topic: "Have you signed the divorce papers yet?"

Quach Phuong forced a smile: "Can we talk after eating, please? I'm too hungry!"

Tan Duat stepped forward and angrily knocked over the tray of rice on the table. The hot soup splashed onto her legs, causing a burning sensation that made her curl her toes in pain.

She had reheated this meal 15 times already, so it should be fine now; there was no need to reheat it anymore.

"What tricks are you trying to play now, Quach Phuong? Do you want the position of Mrs. Tan that badly to the point of going crazy? The person I want to marry has never been you, do you understand?" Tan Duat angrily shouted at her. His temples were full of blue veins, clearly frustrated with her antics.

Quach Phuong bent down, carefully gathering the broken pieces together, and calmly replied: "I have signed the divorce papers. But I have one condition!"

"What condition?" Tan Dut furrowed his brow and asked.

Quach Phuong didn't raise her head, answering in the same manner: "Let's become a true couple for seven days." Waiting until the emotions in her heart had settled, and making sure that her tears would not fall, she raised her head to look at him, her dove-like eyes stirring emotions: "Just seven days, it isn't that difficult, right Mr. Tan?"

Tan Duat looked at her thoughtfully, wanting to refuse. However, upon reconsideration, and feeling curious about what she was up to, he reluctantly agreed to her request: "Fine."

"Thank you!" Quach Phuong walked to the kitchen sink to wash her hands. While washing, she said: "Ah, as per your wish, I've had an abortion. After marrying Nhan Tinh, you don't have to worry, I won't bring the child to look for you and demand responsibility." Her demeanor was neither salty nor bland, akin to casually talking about how nice the weather was today, telling him that there was no need to bring an umbrella.

Tan Duat sneered, "You're really quite opportunistic." He had thought Quach Phuong would fight tooth and nail to keep this child. Turns out, she didn't love him as much as he had thought. Hadn't she grown up in poverty since childhood? So her initial love for him was merely because he was the heir of the Tan family. The woman was clearly only after status and wealth.

Fate was truly mocking; a good girl like Nhan Tinh should be the rightful lady of the Ngo family. If it weren't for Quach Phuong, why wouldn't Nhan Tinh dare to face her foster parents and the pressure from his grandfather, but chose to leave abroad?

Tan Duat naturally shifted all responsibility onto Quach Phuong's head.

"You go to bed first, I'll tidy up for a bit then join you later."

Hearing this, Tan Duat didn't bother saying much more to her and calmly returned to the bedroom. Once Tan Duat's figure disappeared up the stairs, Quach Phuong hurriedly ran to the bathroom, hugging the toilet bowl as she vomited. She hadn't eaten anything all day, and what came out was just bile.

The wave of nausea choked her chest and the cramping pain in her lower abdomen made her feel exhausted, as if she could die at any moment.

Quach Phuong leaned against the toilet bowl, breathing heavily. No, no matter what, she had to try a little harder. She had promised Cao Vien Thanh that she would be hospitalized for treatment next week. She couldn't go back on her word to him.