22: Side story - Nhan Tinh (1)

"Nhan Tinh, I've been waiting for 18 years. I don't want to wait any longer. Will you agree to be my girlfriend, Nhan Tinh? After we finish university, I will propose to you again."

The moment Tan Duat confessed his feelings to me, I wasn't surprised at all. It was no secret that Tan Duat had liked me since elementary school, throughout middle school, and even later on. From birth, we were destined to be childhood sweethearts. I had always thought that I would marry Tan Duat in the future. However, things changed, and stars moved, many had veered off from their original orbits.

When Tan Duat confessed, I was, of course, moved and had even felt an indescribable sense of thrill. But if you asked me whether I loved him at that time, I couldn't give a clear answer. I still hadn't yet figured out my feelings for Tan Duat. Because he and I grew up together and were so close, I had overlooked my own feelings. Perhaps from the beginning, I only intended to see him as a brother.

Tan Duat wasn't the type of man that I liked. In his youth, he was overly impulsive and childish. While I was burying my head in exam preparations, Tan Duat was still hanging out at internet cafes with his close friends. When I was participating in talent competitions, he was still wiping his face with his shirt on the basketball court. Apart from our compatible family backgrounds, I couldn't see anything that Tan Duat and I had in common.

If Quach Phuong had never appeared, if the truth had remained buried and forgotten, perhaps things wouldn't have become so complicated.

On the day of the coming-of-age ceremony, Tan Duat had prepared an extravagant proposal for me. Beyond his excessive sentimentality and extravagance, I also noticed a silent, unobtrusive figure in the background.

Quach Phuong wore a dress as blue as the sky, her beauty as delicate as a princess stepping out of a fairy tale. I used to really like gentle girls, but when it came to Quach Phuong, I, Nhan Tinh, couldn't find any affection for her at all.

I despised her to the core. I hated her weak appearance, hated the way she pleased everyone in the family, and hated the way she liked Tan Duat. I hated the identity of the Ngo family's young lady that should have rightfully been mine.

Just how much did God enjoy playing tricks to arrange such weird things to happen?

You will never understand the feeling of living for eighteen years with a noble identity, loved by parents, cherished by teachers, and admired by friends, only to be told by God that it was all a lie. These things had belonged to someone else, not me.

Like falling into a dream, everything had seemed too perfect, too real, so when I woke up, how could I accept the harsh reality? The parents I loved the most were not my biological parents. The house I called home was merely a place where I was sheltered.

Why did I go from being the esteemed young lady of the Ngo family, to an orphan with no parents? How could she, an orphaned, insignificant girl, suddenly take everything from me? I couldn't accept it.

Fortunately, Tan Duat loved me. So what if Quach Phuong had regained her rightful place as the Ngo family's daughter? I could still make my parents love me as before. I was still Tan Duat's childhood sweetheart, the one he loved wholeheartedly.

Even if Quach Phuong tried for another ten years, it would be in vain. She was so weak, so stupid, that she was better off living a quiet, unremarkable life.

She could never compete with me.

The moment I accepted Tan Duat's confession, and saw her stunned expression, I became extremely happy.

Quach Phuong, the biggest mistake of your life was returning to the Ngo family.

However, there were some things I could never quite understand. In the end, what exactly did Quach Phuong see in Tan Duat? Was it his carefree, handsome face, or the prestigious Tan family background? With Quach Phuong's appearance and gentle personality, finding someone to protect her wouldn't have been difficult. Why did she have to cling to someone who treated her so poorly?