19: New Year's Eve - Love at the end

To be able to celebrate New Year's Eve with Lam My and Cao Vien Thanh, Quach Phuong took several naps throughout the day. She was afraid that by then, she would have been too tired and fell asleep, missing the moment.

Lam My prepared a lot of delicious food, but it was mostly for show. Sick people like Quach Phuong could not eat these dishes.

The hospital room was decorated by Lam My and Cao Vien Thanh to look just like home. There were red couplets, and New Year's wall stickers. After all, this was still a hospital, and everything would have to be taken down after tonight.

That night, Quach Phuong sat on the bed, Cao Vien Thanh and Lam My on each side of her. The three of them watched some New Year's Eve programs together. They didn't watch much, but mostly listened to Lam My talking.

"Quach Phuong, look, look! Isn't he handsome? Should I marry him? Oh, or this guy. No, no, the one over there is even more handsome."

Quach Phuong's eyes curved into a smile: "Sure, even if you marry all of them, I'll support you."

"Ah, you really are my best friend."

Quach Phuong blinked. She felt her eyelashes getting heavy, and her body swayed slightly. Despite sleeping a lot during the day, she was still incredibly tired. Her intuition told her that she could collapse at any moment.

She began to give them advice: "Lam My, be careful with whatever you do, don't be too hasty. When at work, if you can bear something, just bear it, don't let your ego get the better of you, or you will lose yourself. Vien Thanh, don't be so rigid. People admire you, telling them to reflect on themselves like that is not right. You'll be 27 next year, you should get married."

The more Quach Phuong spoke, the more she sounded like an elderly woman near the end of her life, giving her final advice to her children and grandchildren.

Lam My felt the piece of cake she was eating get stuck in her throat. Cao Vien Thanh just gave a wry smile, and replied: "I know, kid."

"Why say such things now? It's almost midnight; let's count down together," Lam My said eagerly.

"Okay." Cao Vien Thanh and Quach Phuong replied in unison. Lam My looked at the two people with dim eyes, then carefully turned Quach Phuong to face the window of the hospital room.

"Quach Phuong, you can still see the fireworks from here."

Her smile was faint: "Yes..." Quach Phuong frowned slightly, her body suddenly felt an unusual pain surge throughout, as if there were thousands upon thousands of ants gnawing at her, eating away down to the bone.

Lam My: "30 seconds left."

Cao Vien Thanh: "20 seconds."

Starting from the 10th second, all three of them began counting down together.

"Nine."

"Eight."

"Seven."

"Six."

Quach Phuong's vision blurred, she tried to keep a smile on her lips. She looked at Lam My first, and then at Cao Vien Thanh.

How fortunate, Quach Phuong thought, that she was not alone.

How fortunate, that the two of them were always here.

Quach Phuong's eyes slowly closed, a tear rolled down her cheek. She would not be able to see the brilliant fireworks.

Lam My's voice trembled, "Three... Quach Phuong, why did you stop counting? Quach Phuong, say something."

Cao Vien Thanh closed his eyes; this time, he did not dare to look at her, or check her breathing. Cao Vien Thanh's lips quivered: "Quach Phuong, Happy New Year!"