13: Some things, not matter how hard you tried, still wouldn't work

Today, Tan Duat rearranged his work schedule to come home earlier than usual. When he arrived home, he saw Quach Phuong preparing various bags of different sizes on the table.

From clothes to nutritional supplements, everything was there, there were even a few items that he couldn't identify.

"Why did you buy so much? The Ngo family doesn't lack any of these things," Tan Duat went to help her pack the bags, his attitude was one of reluctance.

Quach Phuong paused, her fingers trembling slightly. She lowered her head and continued checking the gift bags, saying: "We can't go back empty-handed. Consider it a small token of our appreciation."

Quach Phuong knew that these items couldn't be compared to the wealth of the Ngo family. But at this point, she no longer had the time to repay the debt of gratitude to her birth parents. She could only do her best within her means, even if she wanted to do more, she couldn't.

Eighteen years away from her family's embrace, and even after getting married, she rarely visited home. Now that she wanted to spend more time with her parents, there wasn't much time left. Quach Phuong truly felt a sense of regret. Family love for her was like the wind, fleeting and intangible, impossible to grasp or hold on to.

"Are you done yet?" Tan Duat asked.

Quach Phuong nodded, "Yes, all done."

"Then I'll take these out to the car first."

"I'll help you."

"Okay." Tan Duat chose a few lighter bags and handed them to her, while he carried the heavier ones to the trunk of the car.

Tan Duat brushed his hands off, and turned around to see Quach Phuong struggling to stand by the front door, seemingly fiddling with her shoe straps. Quach Phuong was wearing a light blue long dress, her long hair hanging down to her waist. If he remembered correctly, Quach Phuong had never styled her hair, which was why it was so naturally black, and long.

Her personality matched her appearance—gentle and simple. Tan Duat had never seen Quach Phuong lose her temper; her usual expression was one of sparkling, smiling eyes, the corners of her lips curving upwards.

At that moment, Tan Duat's phone rang. Seeing the name flashing on the screen, Tan Duat's heart skipped a beat. For some reason, he suddenly felt that the phone in his hand had become a thousand pounds heavier.

In the end, Tan Duat still chose to answer the call.

He moved his lips: "Nhan Tinh..."

From the other end came a voice as sweet as that of an eighteen-year-old girl, "Tan Duat, how have you been?"

"I'm fine."

"Why haven't you come to see me these past few days?" Nhan Tinh asked, sounding hurt. She had just returned to the country not long ago, and the person she wanted to see the most was Tan Duat, but Tan Duat had only picked her up at the airport and nothing else.

Tan Duat hesitated: "I... recently, I had some work at the company that needed to be handled."

There was a brief silence from Nhan Tinh's end for a few seconds, then she spoke up again, and asked: "Tan Duat, don't you miss me?"

Nhan Tĩnh's voice carried a hint of blame and disappointment. This move was enough to break down Tan Duat's defenses. He anxiously tried to explain: "Nhan Tinh, don't say that. You know very well that the only person I love is you. I've been waiting for you to come back."

Nhan Tinh smiled with satisfaction: "Tan Duat, I've missed you a lot. Let's meet up."

"I..." Tan Duat glanced towards Quach Phuong, not understanding how she had managed to cause all the gift bags to fall to the ground. Tan Duat quickly said into the phone: "Nhan Tinh, I'm sorry. I can't meet you today. Let's do it another time."