Chapter 03

Roseanne

Roseanne

There is a CV near my place. It sells everything a CV should and is run by the same person who is also its owner; a spicy woman in her late 70s.

When I first went to her store after settling down three blocks away, she asked if I had a giant bowl of ramen the night before because my face was awfully bloated.

When I told her it was the side effect of some medications I took, she told me to dismiss them.

"That'd just kill your chance at getting a good laid, young lady,"

She gave me a lecture, all while three other customers were in the store.

I remember being so embarrassed afterwards, that I waited at least until the remaining customers vanished before checking out my items.

I swore I'd never set foot in that place again, but promises are easier made than kept.

Her shop is the closest one in the neighbourhood, practically just around the corner.

And since I don't drive, it's the only reasonable option when I need to restock my groceries.

***

Old Hyunjin lets out a long sigh the moment she spots me approaching, the sound only growing louder as I finally step into her shop.

"Well, if it isn't my favourite customer," she says, folding the newspaper she'd been reading in half and setting it aside before pulling off her glasses.

Then, she gives me a sarcastic smile as I grab the basket from its place.

"What can I help you with today? Junk food recommendations? I have a new cheap Cheetos look alike that might boost your crappy day,"

I scoot past the counter and straight into the instant noodles aisle.

"As amazing as that sounds like, thank you, Hyunjin. I think I might just pick some ramen tonight,"

"Tonight?" she repeats.

I swear to god, this lady doesn't come with a chill button in her manual book.

"Are you sure it's just for tonight because you've been here every day looking for the same damn thing,"

I pull the beer fridge open and get a couple.

"At this rate,"

She speaks as someone else enters the store.

"You're just going to be a drunkard. God, just what's going to happen to this generation? They drop dead early and snitch best spots at the cemetery,"

"You don't have to worry,"

I lift the basket on the counter. She glares at me but scans my items anyway.