Do I have to?

The sounds of the neighbors' music, chickens clucking, and the talak of my bungangerang nanay fill the air. Ahh… magandang buhay.

"ASHAAA!!!"

Here we go… 

"Don’t tell me you have no plans today?! What do you expect me to say, huh? You wake up, eat, sleep. No plans for your future?! Look at your brother and sister!" 

"Yep... good morning to you too, Mom," I mutter, rolling my eyes.

"What?! You're planning to be a tambay forever?!" she screeches. 

Tambay? I mean, what exactly am I doing? I’m Anastasia Trinidad Guerrero, 25 years old, a college graduate. For the past six months, my life has been this way. “I deserve this rest!” That’s what I keep telling myself. 

Looking back, I was a consistent honor student, never failed a test, and I wanted to pursue art—hence, I took architecture. But stepping into the real world is scarier than I thought. Everyone said I was smart and talented, but… reality check, it’s hard! So here I am, scrolling through my phone, watching my past classmates and friends getting their dream jobs. 

Am I lazy… or just pressured? How do I even find a job?! Oh, speaking of...

"Asha! Miss you! Are you free?"
It’s Joana! My one and only best friend. 

"Jo! I'm always free!" I reply, practically glued to my couch. 

"I hope Jo can help me find a job… or else I’m going to die from my mom’s sermons every day," I think to myself.

"Te, samgyup tayo! I'll send you the location."

"Jo, I don't have money, and I don't know how to use chopsticks!" 

"Asha! Ano ka ba? I didn’t say you’ll pay. My treat! I just got a job!"

"Really?! Sana all. Wait, I’ll shower first. I’ll meet you there." 

"Okay!!! Byeiii!!!" 

I’m always happy for Joana. Jo Alcantara is my only true friend. We met in college, but we weren’t even in the same course. She studied Accountancy while I did Architecture. We always hung out after school, and since my parents were super strict, Jo was the only one who could convince my mom to let me go out! We’ve had our ups and downs, but she’s never given up on me. She’s a true friend—the one who never gets tired of my yap-yap.

As I walk to the restaurant in my oversized shirt, jeans, and white sneakers, with nothing but my phone, I spot Jo waiting for me outside. The moment she sees me, she grins. I run to her and give her a big hug.

"Asha! You look even paler than usual! Did you even sleep?" 

"Hmm... I missed you! Well, too busy reading books and watching K-dramas, you know," I say, laughing.

We head inside, and as she starts cooking the samgyup, we fall into our usual banter, laughing as always.

"So… what are your plans now?" she asks, eyeing me as she flips the meat. "I know Tita, and I’m sure she’s been on your case about this." 

"Jo… I’m scared. I’m scared of failing. I don’t know if I can really handle the real world, you know?" 

She rolls her eyes and smacks me lightly. 
"Eh ano ngayon?! So you’re just going to be a tambay forever? That’s your plan?"

"Of course not!" I say, pouting. 

"So?" she presses.

I look at her as I bite into a lettuce wrap. 
"I don’t know yet… but I will find a job. This week, I promise! I’ll find one!" 

"Okay! And after you do, ikaw naman manlilibre!" she says, grinning as I struggle to use the chopsticks.

"Oh, and by the way... do you wanna live with me? I mean, in my apartment. We could split the bills! It’s hard to live alone, you know."

"Well… if I get a job," I reply, still wrestling with my chopsticks.

"Deal!" she laughs.

Later that night, as I lay in bed, my mind keeps racing. How will I get a job? What if I mess up on the first day and get fired? I cannot let that happen! I need to get out of this house… and move in with Jo.

I should just go to sleep...

"Asha? Have you seen Mom?

"No, Kuya. Wait—Kuya?! When did you come home?" 

"Haha, earlier. So… have you found a job yet? I can refer you to my friend." 

"Really?!" I ask, suddenly sitting up. 

My big brother, Kuya Cristian, has always been the one I can talk to about everything in this crazy house.

"Yep. I’ll talk to her on Monday. Get ready for the interview." 

Is this real? Am I finally stepping into the real world
Haha, sounds like a song. But seriously, can I actually do this? What if I fail? 

Oh well, if I get the job, I’ll call Jo and tell her I’m moving in!