Samgyup chika

Weekends with Joana were always the same—a trip to our favorite samgyupsal joint, a mountain of pork belly, and endless chika sessions about life and work. Today was no different. The smell of grilling meat filled the air, and Joana, as usual, was in charge of flipping the meat with such expertise that she looked like the reigning champion of Korean samgyup. I, on the other hand, was busy constructing what could only be described as a chaotic lettuce wrap, piling it so high it barely fit in my mouth.

Joana: “Asha, girl, parang burrito 'yan. Di 'yan samgyup!”

I grinned around a mouthful of lettuce and meat. “Eh gusto ko 'yung puno! Para isang lagok, solve na ako!”

Joana shook her head, her eyes twinkling with amusement. “Good luck sa’yo. Pero pag nagka-jowa ka na, wag mo gagawin ‘yan sa date! Baka umatras agad si Jino!”

I waved her off, rolling my eyes dramatically. “Hala, Jo. Baka mas manligaw pa siya pag nakita niyang kayang-kaya ko isubo ano nya!”

We both burst into laughter, drawing a few curious stares from neighboring tables. But that was how it always went with us—constant teasing and loud laughter.

Joana popped another piece of pork into her mouth and leaned back, her expression turning serious as she asked:

Joana: “BASTAOS AH! So, how’s your week, Asha? Yung kay Jino, may progress na ba?”

I snorted. “Girl, baka nasa chapter one pa rin kami sa Wattpad, ewan ko ba.”

Joana just smirked. “Well, good luck with that. Speaking of men... gusto mo malaman kung ano bago sakin?”

My ears perked up. “Ay oo! How’s your man naman?”

Joana’s expression darkened as she glared at me. “Obviously, I’m done with him. Dumadagdag pa sa stress ko sa work! Siya pa may ganang mag-cheat sa’kin?! Eh halos ako nga nagbibigay ng allowance niya!”

I slapped the table, laughing so hard I almost knocked over my cup of iced tea. “Shet, Jo! HAHAHAHA! Tanga mo rin naman pala sa love!”

Joana rolled her eyes, but she was laughing too. “Hoy, hindi ako delulu katulad mo, ha!”

We laughed so hard we almost forgot about the meat on the grill. After a few more giggles, I shook my head, marveling at how strong and independent Joana was.

Joana Alcantara—slash mom, slash bestie, slash boyfriend. Minsan iniisip ko nga, meron pa bang lalake na kayang maging mas manly sa kanya?

Asha: “Kaya nga Jo, ikaw na talaga ang lalake sa relasyon nyo!”

She smirked, clearly proud of her self-reliance. “Eh, malamang! At this point, kaya ko na lahat, pati sa work. Wala nang silbi yung jowa ko.”

I leaned back, crossing my arms, still in awe of her strength. “Kung ganun, dapat hanap ka na lang ng jowa na mas manly pa sayo, kung meron man!”

Joana laughed, flipping another piece of meat. “Good luck with that.”

And then, out of nowhere, she dropped the bomb.

Joana: “Parang bet ko mag bar mamaya.”

I froze mid-bite, lettuce still halfway to my mouth. “Shunga! Hindi ako pwede ron!”