Red flag

The days after I overheard the juicy chismis about Kyle were like a romcom—minus the “rom” part and a whole lot of cringe. At first, I tried convincing myself that maybe, just maybe, the rumors weren’t true. Baka naman misjudged lang si kuya. But no. Every time I saw him, the universe kept screaming, “GIRL, MALI KA!”

Take this one morning. I was innocently sitting at my desk, chewing on a pencil while trying to fix a floor plan that was slowly becoming a design crime. Then Kyle walked in, of course in his signature cool-guy outfit—polo shirt, sleeves rolled up, with that I-woke-up-like-this-hair na medyo messy but still perfect. Okay, fine, pogi siya, but I’m over him. Totally. Promise!

I tried to focus on my disaster of a floor plan, pero napaka-ingay ng office that morning. And who else was causing the noise? You guessed it: Kyle and his personal kilig brigade—three of our officemates gathered around him, giggling like they were in high school.

“Kyle, ang kulit mo talaga!” one of them squealed, flipping her hair like she was auditioning for a shampoo commercial.

UGH, ANG INGAY NYO! Wala ba kayong mga trabaho? I muttered under my breath, rolling my eyes so hard I thought I’d see the back of my skull. Just as I was mid-eye roll, Kyle, of course, noticed.

He flashed that megawatt smirk—you know, the one he probably practices in the mirror every morning—then sauntered over to me like a leading man in a telenovela. Luh, eto na naman siya!

“Asha!” he called out, leaving his fan club behind and heading straight for my desk. Oh em gee, why me?!

I tried to act super casual, kahit na my face was already heating up. “Uh, hi. Busy,” I said quickly, my voice sounding way more awkward than I’d intended. Ugh, Asha, why?!

“Busy, huh?” He leaned on my desk like he owned the place, flashing that smile of doom. “You should join us later for drinks. You know, unwind after a long day.”

DRINKS? PFFFT. My brain flashed back to the gossip I’d overheard—‘one-night stand king’ was still ringing loud and clear. Red flag! Red flag! Focus, Asha, focus!

I forced a polite smile. “Um, no thanks. I don’t really drink… and I’m super busy this week.” LIE. I’ll be at home binge-watching K-dramas and eating ice cream, but he doesn’t need to know that!

He chuckled, like he was in on some secret joke. “Come on, you’re always working hard. You should have some fun.”

Fun? With you? I’d rather have fun crying over my fictional oppas, thank you very much. I smiled again, this time with a hint of "no thanks" sass. “Nope, I’m good. K-drama marathon’s already on my calendar.”

He blinked. “K-drama?” He looked confused, like I’d just spoken a foreign language.

“Yes, K-drama,” I repeated, a little louder. “You know, where the guys aren’t walking red flags!”

His smile faltered for a split second, but persistent si kuya. “Alright, let me know if you change your mind.”

Kuya, there’s more chance of me changing my mind about pineapple on pizza than joining you for drinks! But instead, I just gave him another polite smile and watched him walk away, his fan club still trailing behind.

The moment he was out of earshot, Carla, my office bestie, slid into the seat next to mine with a knowing smirk.

“So... Kyle, ha?” she teased, wiggling her eyebrows.

I groaned dramatically, covering my face with both hands. “HUY, WALA. Alam mo bang binasted ko na siya?! I am NOT interested. He’s…” BASTED talaga? I trailed off, unable to find the right words. “...He’s TOO MUCH.”

Carla snorted. “Girl, I get it. Sobrang F boy nga si kuya. Alam mo ba, halos lahat ng girls na niyayaya niyang ‘for drinks,’ may nangyari. Kaya nga sikat siya, di ba?”

“EXACTLY!” I threw my hands up in exasperation. “I’m not trying to be part of his collection, Carla! Besides,” I lowered my voice to a whisper, looking around to make sure no one else could hear, “I’m a virgin!”

Carla nearly choked on her coffee, trying not to laugh. “Parang Wattpad heroine ka na super wholesome, tapos yung guy? Walking red flag.”

I crossed my arms and huffed. “I’m DONE with the Wattpad fantasy. Akala ko pa naman, baka lang he’s different. Pero no. He’s exactly what the rumors say: a spoiled F boy with pogi points.”

Carla grinned and nodded like she was a sage. “Yep. You need to manifest someone better. Like, good guy material—hindi itong Mr. One-Night Stand.”

I sighed dramatically, resting my head on my desk. “Forget about romance, Carla. I don’t need a good guy. I need a job that doesn’t make me cry every time I open AutoCAD.”

Carla burst out laughing. “Tama yan, work first. Pero, girl, I swear—bawas kilig na kay Kyle, ha? Sayang energy mo sa pogi points niya.”

“Promise,” I said, raising my hand like I was swearing an oath. Work muna, kalma lang.

But the universe had other plans because later that afternoon, Kyle popped up again. AGAIN.

I was quietly working, minding my own business, when I felt someone looming over me. I looked up, and there he was, holding out a cup of coffee. “Thought you could use this. You’ve been working hard.”

Hala, bakit ba siya ang lapit? My brain immediately went into overdrive. Ano ba ‘to, bakit nagiging extra awkward nanaman ako?! I took the cup from him, my hands slightly shaking. “Uh, thanks…”

“No problem,” he said, leaning closer than necessary, his voice smooth as silk. “You know, we really should grab drinks sometime. Promise, it’ll be fun.”

Fun for you, heartbreak for me! My internal alarms went off like crazy. I forced another polite smile, trying not to look panicked. “Uh, thanks for the offer… pero I’ll pass.”

His smile didn’t even falter. “Alright, your loss.” And with a wink—A WINK, TALAGA?!—he sauntered off, leaving me sitting there, clutching the coffee like it was a ticking time bomb.

I looked at the coffee cup, debating whether to drink it or throw it in the trash. Baka naman may magic potion ‘to na biglang magpapakilig sa akin ulit, eh.

I sighed dramatically, resting my head on my desk again. What did I do in my past life to deserve this?! Bakit ako yung natetempt, pero wala akong balak mag-fall?!

Then I remembered the chismis—Kyle, the notorious playboy, with his endless roster of one-night stands and fangirls. Nope, kuya. Not today. Not tomorrow. NEVER!

I took a cautious sip of the coffee. Okay fine, masarap siya. But still… no thanks.

“Sorry, Kyle,” I muttered under my breath. “Hindi ako part of your fangirl club. Next time, offer your coffee to someone else.”

And with that, I returned to my work, mentally blocking out any future pa-cute attempts from Mr. One-Night Stand. Job muna, Asha. K-drama oppas na lang ang pahinga mo!