Cousins?!

I took a deep breath, ready to brave the battlefield outside the bathroom. Okay, Asha, I thought, you’ve faced worse. Like that palabok war yesterday. You’ve got this!

I strutted out of the bathroom like I hadn’t been hiding in there for a solid 15 minutes, hoping no one would notice how disheveled I looked from my mini panic attack. I even tossed my hair back dramatically—because you know, bida-bida moves! Confidence is key, sabi nga nila.

As I joined the group, I saw everyone gathered around, eagerly waiting for the big introduction. I tried to sneak to the back like some sort of sneaky ninja, but of course, as if the universe had a personal vendetta against me, I caught sight of HIM.

Jino De Jesus Takahashi. Mr. Perfect Chinito himself, looking annoyingly perfect as usual. He was standing next to Kyle, chatting and laughing like they were in some kind of exclusive pogi boy club.

Of course, this is happening.

Our team leader cleared her throat. "Everyone, I’d like to introduce the new top leader who will be working closely with us—Jino De Jesus Takahashi. He’s going to be practicing leadership here since, well, this company is basically going to be his someday."

I internally screamed. Of course it is. He’s not just Mr. Perfect Chinito, he’s Mr. Future Boss!

I tried my best to look professional, but all I could think about was the bilao incident. I was praying, please, universe, let him have forgotten about that palabok disaster. But no, the second Jino’s eyes landed on me, his lips curled into a small, knowing smirk.

Oh no, he remembered. Kainis!

I wanted the ground to swallow me whole. I could already hear Jo’s voice in my head, teasing me. “Sige Asha, bida-bida ka pa, ayan na si Mr. Wattpad Chinito mo.”

Jino tilted his head ever so slightly, as if he was remembering our previous encounter. Maybe he was recalling how I looked all haggard and loshang yesterday, clutching that bilao like it was my last hope. Fantastic.

I smiled awkwardly, trying to look unbothered, pero deep inside, girl, I was dying.

Then, Kyle—the King of All Players—leaned in and whispered something to Jino, and they both chuckled. OMG, are they laughing about me? I swear I could feel my ears burning. My bida-bida energy was quickly deflating.

Before I could die of secondhand embarrassment, my phone buzzed. It was Jo.

I ducked into a corner, answering the call like it was a lifeline. "Jo, you will not believe what’s happening!" I whisper-yelled.

“Oh my gosh, what now, Asha? You sound like you’re in a telenovela,” Jo said, clearly amused.

“Si Jino! Mr. Perfect Suit! He’s here, Jo! And he’s our new boss-in-training or something. Like, he’s practically going to own the company! Tapos he’s talking to Kyle! Kyle! Can you believe this?”

Jo laughed on the other end. “Wait, wait. Jino De Jesus Takahashi? As in, may lahi talaga? Hala, girl, I told you! Pogi, rich, and—wait, is this a Wattpad plotline unfolding in real life?”

“It feels like it! And I swear, they were laughing at me. Like, what if they were talking about the palabok thing? I’m doomed! How am I supposed to work here when every time I look at him, I’m going to remember that I tried to fight him for a bilao!”

Jo was cackling now. “Asha, kalma. He’s probably not even thinking about that. Or maybe he is… maybe he thinks it’s cute how you fought him for noodles.”

Cute?! Jo, I looked like I had just crawled out of the underworld yesterday, and now he’s gonna be in the office every day! Plus, his name sounds like it belongs to some rich anime character! This is too much for my bida-bida self to handle!”

Jo snorted. “Girl, embrace it. You’re the bida in this story. Who knows, baka you're in the first chapter of your own rom-com!”

I groaned. “I’d rather be in a rom-com where the leading man doesn’t remember me looking like a sweaty mess.”

Before I could continue spiraling, I heard footsteps approaching. I hung up on Jo mid-laugh and turned around to see Jino walking towards me. Naku, here we go!

I stood up straighter, plastering on the most professional smile I could manage. Bida-bida mode on! Jino stopped in front of me, that same smirk playing on his lips.

“Asha, right?” he said in that deep, cool voice that sounded like it came straight out of a drama.

“Y-Yes,” I managed to stammer. Great, now I’m stuttering. Awesome.

“Good to see you again,” he said, his eyes twinkling with amusement. “Let me know if there’s another rescue mission I can help with… maybe this time, I’ll bring the palabok.”

And with that, he walked off, leaving me standing there like a deer caught in headlights.

I stared after him, my brain short-circuiting. Did he just… make a palabok joke?

Suddenly, Kyle approached, chuckling. “Jino’s quite the character, huh?”

I nodded, still trying to process. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Oh, by the way,” Kyle said casually, “Jino and I are cousins. We’re not super close or anything, but he’s definitely an interesting guy.”

I blinked. Cousins? That made sense of their easy camaraderie, but it didn’t make Jino any less mysterious or, well, perfect.

As Kyle walked away, I shook my head, trying to get back to my work. What is my life right now?

But seriously, though... Was it even possible to focus when the guy in front of you looked like he was handcrafted by the romance gods? And tall. Like, really tall. And... okay, enough.

As I stood there, trying to regain some semblance of composure, I made a mental note: Stay far, far away from Kyle’s cousin. Because one perfect, charming guy in the office is enough drama for me, thank you very much.

But, ugh, why did he have to be so pogi? And that smile...