Table slap

It was just another lunch break, and I was nestled in my usual corner of the cafeteria, engrossed in my favorite BL webtoon. The screen brightness was so low you’d think I was deciphering a top-secret government document, but hey, discretion is key. No one needed to know about my secret obsession with fictional men falling for each other.

As I reached a particularly heart-fluttering scene, my excitement got the best of me. I slapped the table and burst out, "HAHAHAHA! Nakakakilig kayo, mga bakla!"

Silence.

It took me a solid three seconds to register what had just happened. My hand was still suspended in mid-air as I slowly turned my head to assess the situation. And there, just a few tables away, was him.

Jino De Jesus Takahashi. Yes, that Jino. The guy who looked like he walked straight out of a Wattpad novel. His face, chiseled like a Greek god, and his suit—oh, that suit—looked like it was made from the finest fabric in existence. And his expression? A mix of amusement and confusion.

The cafeteria, which had been a buzzing hive of activity, now seemed to be frozen in time. Everyone was looking at me. I could practically hear the collective intake of breath, like I’d just performed a magic trick that involved making everyone’s lunch disappear.

Why me? Why did I have to make a scene? I thought, my cheeks flaming with embarrassment. I wanted to disappear into the floor—if only I had a magic portal to save me from this calamity.

Trying to maintain my dignity, I slumped back into my chair and resumed pretending to be deeply engrossed in my phone. Play it cool, Asha. Act like you’re just a regular person who doesn't just slap tables in moments of excitement.

But deep inside, I was in full panic mode. My brain was practically short-circuiting. I was convinced that Jino was going to spread the word about the “crazy girl who slapped a table and laughed like a maniac.”

Then, to make things worse—or better?—Jino stood up and started making his way toward me. OHMYGOD WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?

My mind raced through potential escape plans. Should I pretend to be choking? Suddenly develop the ability to become invisible? Or maybe just crawl under the table and never come out?

“Hi,” Jino greeted as he reached my table. His voice was smooth and casual, as if he wasn’t at all bothered by my recent meltdown. He leaned casually on the table, looking down at me with a smirk that only seemed to add to his already high attractiveness quotient.

I tried to compose myself, my heart racing. "Uh, hi?" I squeaked, my voice sounding higher than usual. Seriously, Asha? A squeak?

He raised an eyebrow, clearly enjoying my discomfort. “Everything okay? You seem... really into your lunch.”

Kill me now.

I forced a laugh, trying to salvage some semblance of normalcy. “Oh! Yeah! Totally fine! Super fine!” I said, my voice an octave too high. “Just... you know, testing... the table! Architect stuff!”

I mentally facepalmed. Architect stuff? Really?

Jino’s smirk widened. “Architect stuff, huh? You design tables, too?”

I nodded vigorously, my face flushed with the heat of a thousand suns. “Yup! Gotta make sure they’re sturdy. You know, slap test!” I said, laughing awkwardly as if I was defending my profession’s honor. Please let me evaporate.

Jino chuckled, clearly entertained by my antics. “Well, it passed the test. I’ll leave you to your... professional work, then.”

I nodded way too enthusiastically. “Yes, exactly! Table... slapping... duties.”

He gave me one last amused look before turning to walk away. “See you around, Asha.”

As soon as he was out of earshot, I collapsed face-first onto the table, my cheeks burning with a mix of embarrassment and frustration. “Lord, bakit ako ganito?!”

After a few moments of wallowing in my own mortification, I peeked over the edge of the table. To my horror, Kyle—yes, that Kyle—was now surrounded by a gaggle of office ladies, his usual player grin plastered on his face. They were all laughing, their eyes darting in my direction. Great, just great. Even Kyle is in on the joke.

But it wasn’t just Kyle’s presence that was bothering me. It was Jino’s lingering smirk. He was... different. Sure, he had the same commanding presence as Kyle, but there was something more grounded about him. Less cocky, more... mysterious.

I bit my lip, trying to push the blush from my cheeks. Okay, Asha, calm down. He’s just a guy. A really, really hot guy... but just a guy.

I straightened up, putting my phone away. The cafeteria buzzed back to its usual rhythm, but the memory of my recent performance was still fresh. Focus, Asha, I whispered to myself. Next time, no more BL reactions in public. Gotta stay normal.

But as I gathered my things and prepared to leave, I couldn’t help but smile. Maybe, just maybe, lunch breaks were about to get a whole lot more interesting.