Sneaky lizard

One afternoon, I found myself having lunch with Ate Carla. We were huddled together like schoolgirls exchanging secrets, our voices hushed as if we were discussing state secrets. In reality, it was juicy chismis about none other than Jino De Jesus Takahashi.

“Asha, alam mo ba,” Ate Carla leaned in closer, her eyes gleaming with excitement, “yung parents ni Jino, separated na pala. Pero parang wala na sa kanya ‘yun, ha? He’s over it, I guess.”

I nodded, acting casual but internally screaming. Girl, bakit ngayon ko lang nalaman ito?

“And that’s not all. Hala, ito pa!” she whispered, pausing for dramatic effect. “Jino isn’t just an architect. Engineer din siya!”

WHAT?! Architect slash Engineer?! I almost choked on my iced tea. Teka, certified genius na si kuya?

Ate Carla nodded, obviously enjoying the look of disbelief on my face. “Oo, accelerated pa! Matalino talaga. Tipong honors kid, girl. Can you imagine?”

I blinked rapidly, trying to process the info. Tall, handsome, smart, AND accomplished? Baka naman perfect na tong tao na ‘to, Lord!

“Pero eto, last na promise,” Carla grinned wickedly. “Yung model na close sa kanya? Her name’s Claire.”

Claire?! Ugh, pangit ng pangalan mo, ghurl! What kind of basic model name is that?

After our lunch full of sizzling gossip, I headed to the bathroom to retouch—again. Alam mo na, para sa future husband. Pagkatapos ko, as I was about to leave, I spotted Jino walking towards the men's room. I froze, unsure if I should smile, wave, or, you know... be normal.

But then I heard him talking on the phone as he entered the restroom. Instinctively, I ducked behind the wall, pressing myself against it like I was auditioning for a role as a wall lizard. Oo na, judge me, pero hindi ko mapigilan!

From my not-so-subtle hiding spot, I heard a woman's voice on the other end of the call. It was her. Si Claire.

“Come on, Jino… You’re ignoring me again? Just for tonight? Please?” her voice was annoyingly sweet, like the kind of girl you just know gets what she wants.

Jino’s voice dropped, cold and firm. “Stop it, Claire. You shouldn’t be spreading rumors that can ruin my name. You know that.”

What rumors? Anong pinagsasasabi nito ni Claire?

Then he continued, sounding irritated. “I’m telling Mom you’ll be at the house later. See you. But for now, I still have to finish my work. It’s more important than what you want for tonight.”

Hala?! My mind went into full-blown overdrive. Wait lang… Mag-a—*Oh. My. God. Magse—?! I couldn’t even finish the thought.

Legit ba to? Grabe naman! Does that mean Jino and Claire were going to... you know?!
I wanted to scream and faint at the same time. My brain was running wild with unnecessary thoughts about their night, and it took all of my strength not to gag out loud. NOOOO!!!

Suddenly, the bathroom door swung open, and Jino stepped out, catching me in the most embarrassing position ever—pressed against the wall like a lizard caught in headlights.

Jino’s eyes narrowed as he stared at me, his face a mix of confusion and irritation. “What are you doing?”

I blinked, my mind scrambling for a reasonable excuse. Kapit lang, Asha. Baka kaya pa to i-save!

“Oh, um…” I straightened up awkwardly, trying to regain some composure, but my knees felt like jelly. My heart was pounding so hard I thought he could hear it. “I was just—uh—stretching?” Ano daw?!

He crossed his arms, his eyes not buying my pathetic excuse. “You were listening, weren’t you?”

His voice was cold, and I felt a shiver run down my spine. Patay!

“I didn’t—” I started to deny it, but the truth was written all over my guilty face. There was no escape. I was busted.

Jino’s jaw clenched, and his glare intensified. “Yes, you did.”

I swallowed, my mouth suddenly dry as a desert. Oh my God, I ruined everything!

“I—” My voice cracked. “I didn’t mean to…”

“Sure,” he said, his voice laced with disappointment, “just like you didn’t mean to eavesdrop on a private conversation.”

Oh my gosh, ang ganda ng voice niya kahit galit siya! No, Asha, focus!

Jino’s eyes bore into mine, and I felt like the floor was going to swallow me whole. He looked so disappointed. My heart sank. Shocks, anong ginawa ko?

“I don’t appreciate people prying into my personal life,” he added, his tone harsh and cutting. “If you’re going to work here, maybe you should focus on doing your job instead of sneaking around like this.”

Ay, grabe naman. Ang sakit! It was like he had slapped me with his words, and I was left standing there, feeling like the biggest idiot in the world. My cheeks burned with shame, and I couldn’t even bring myself to look him in the eyes anymore.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, my voice small and shaky.

Jino shook his head, clearly unimpressed, before turning to leave. “Just stay out of things that don’t concern you, Asha.”

As he walked away, I felt like my whole world had come crashing down. Oh my God.

Wala na akong pag-asa kay Mr. Chinito. Tapos na ang Wattpad story ko. My chest tightened, and I felt tears prickling at the corners of my eyes. I blinked them back, determined not to cry at work. Bakit ganito ako? Bakit ang clumsy at pabibo ko pa kasi?!

As I made my way back to my desk, I slumped in my chair, staring blankly at my computer screen. The words blurred together as I replayed the conversation in my head. He hates me. Jino probably thought I was some nosy, immature girl who couldn’t mind her own business.

The worst part? I didn’t even know if I could fix it. Baka wala na talaga akong pag-asa. My heart felt so heavy.

I leaned back in my chair, staring at the ceiling, feeling like the saddest rom-com heroine who just lost her shot at the love of her life. Goodbye, Mr. Chinito.