Prologue

The hospital room is quiet, save for the rhythmic beeping of machines and the soft hum of air from the vent above. It's late afternoon, and the sun is setting, casting warm golden rays that filter through the blinds. The light falls softly on my mum's frail figure, her chest rising and falling with labored breaths. I sit beside her bed, clutching her hand, trying to ignore the coldness of her skin.

"Shannen." Her voice is barely a whisper, thin and fragile. I squeeze her hand in response, blinking back the tears threatening to spill.

"Yes, Mum?" I manage to keep my voice steady, but inside, I'm unraveling. She's been sick for so long, and now, just hours before my graduation, it feels like everything is slipping away.

"You're my sunflower," she says softly, each word a struggle. Her lips curve into the faintest smile, and for a moment, I can almost pretend she's the strong, vibrant woman I've always known. But I can't pretend anymore. Not today.

"I know, Mum," I say, trying to match her smile, though mine falters. "I've always tried to be. Just like you said."

Her smile lingers, but I can see the effort it takes. She takes a shallow breath, and her hand trembles slightly in mine. "Sunflowers always reach for the light... no matter how dark it gets."

Her words resonate deeply within me, bringing back memories of my childhood. She always encouraged me to chase my dreams, no matter the obstacles. I want to tell her that I'll make her proud, that I'll shine bright at my presentation tomorrow, but the words get caught in my throat.

"Please, Mum," I say, desperation creeping into my voice. "You'll see me walk across that stage tomorrow. I've worked so hard, and I want you there."

She doesn't answer right away. Her eyes flutter, and I can't tell if she's drifting away or simply gathering her strength. "You are shining already, Shannen," she says finally, her voice cracking. "I'm so proud of you. But I might not be there to see it."

My heart clenches painfully. I've known this truth for weeks now, but hearing her say it makes it all too real. The weight of her words presses down on me, and the tears I've been holding back spill over.

"I know," I whisper, my voice trembling. "I know, Mum."

In that moment, I can no longer hold it together. I burst into tears, overwhelmed by grief and love, and I rush out of the room, desperate for air. I can hear the distant murmurs of the hospital staff, but all I feel is the suffocating weight of my emotions.

As I step into the hallway, I lean against the cool wall, trying to regain my composure. That's when I see Theo, standing by the nurses' station, his expression a mixture of concern and sorrow. He approaches me, his presence a comforting anchor amidst the storm of my feelings.

"Shannen," he says softly, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I'm here."

"Can I see her?" Theo asks, his voice low and earnest.

I nod, stepping aside slightly. "Of course. She's inside."

Theo moves past me, his demeanor shifting as he steps into my mum's room. I linger in the hallway, feeling a mix of gratitude and worry. The door closes gently behind him, and I can't help but strain to hear their conversation, though it's just beyond my reach.

Inside, I know Theo will bring comfort to my mum. I lean against the wall, trying to collect myself, when I catch snippets of their exchange.

"Lizzy," I hear Theo say, his voice steady. "You've been so strong."

"Shannen needs you," Lizzy replies softly. "Promise me you'll look out for her."

Their words fade as I focus on my own thoughts. I can't shake the feeling that something important lies ahead, but for now, all I want is to be strong for my mum.