Chapter Twenty-one

As the twinkling lights illuminate the streets of San Francisco, a festive chill fills the air, wrapping the city in a cozy embrace. I stand at my apartment window, hot cocoa in hand, watching the world below bustling with holiday cheer. Families and couples stroll past, laughter echoing against the backdrop of carols drifting through the air. The memories of last Christmas flood my mind, mingling with the warmth of nostalgia and a hint of sadness. This year feels different; with Milan behind me and a new chapter unfolding, I can't help but wonder what this holiday season will bring. The tree in the corner of my living room, adorned with delicate ornaments, stands as a silent reminder of the traditions I hold dear, yet I feel the weight of longing for those who can't share this moment with me.

I grab my phone to dial Jane. It's already 3 p.m., and she mentioned we'd be grocery shopping together since we're cooking for tonight. Knowing Jane, she's not the biggest fan of cooking—she'd rather order takeout than get her hands dirty chopping ingredients or, God forbid, cry while slicing an onion. The last time we tried this home-cooking thing was years ago, on her birthday. She wanted to host an in-house dinner party, insisting she'd cook everything herself. The disaster that followed? Well, it ended with her holding a pan lid over her head like a shield as she dropped onions into the pan. I had to take over, but in the end, we had fun. And Kyle was still with me back then.

The ringing on the phone snaps me out of my memory, and finally, after eight attempts, Jane picks up.

"Shan, babe! I'm so sorry for not answering earlier, my client just left. She had an eyelash extension session and, oh my God, she was so dramatic! Anyway, about the groceries—look, I hate to do this, but I can't join you. I've got one more client to see, just a quick consultation. Could you be a sweetheart and handle the shopping yourself? We'll meet at my apartment around 5, okay? You're the chef, so you know what to get. No food codes this time, just whip up something delicious! Oh, but I'd die for your homemade sushi, so please make some of that! Love you, Shan! See you soon. Bye!"

Before I can even respond, she hangs up. Classic Dr. Jane Harrington.

Luckily, I'm still in my apartment. I would've been a little more irritated if I'd already been at the store waiting for hours. So, I guess it's on me to handle the grocery run for tonight's Christmas Eve dinner. Might as well grab a couple of bottles of wine too—three, maybe. It's Christmas Eve, after all. The bars will be packed, so we're better off getting tipsy in her apartment, safe and sound.

I get ready, throwing together an outfit and packing a few spare clothes. One for cooking (in case I get messy) and another for the sleepover, because let's be real, we'll be too knocked out to drive home. I'm definitely not ruining my Christmas Eve dress. Once everything's packed, I head out.

As I descend to the parking lot, I spot my car and quickly get the engine running. Navigating out of the lot and onto the streets, I realize—yep, it's that time of the year. San Francisco is bustling with people. Families out together, tourists exploring the city, couples rekindling old flames or having their first kiss under mistletoe, and, of course, people nursing broken hearts. Some prefer solitude, others are surrounded by loved ones. The city is alive with its own holiday magic.

After a while, I pull into the grocery store parking lot and get out of the car. Inside, the atmosphere is festive—there are Christmas decorations everywhere and plenty of discounts. I push my cart down the aisles, thinking out loud.

"What should I cook tonight? Jane wants sushi, of course. Theo's not a huge fan of sushi, but his partner loves it, because Theo mentioned he will bring his plus one. Maybe I'll grab some meat or chicken too, just to be safe. And pasta—everyone loves pasta, don't they?"

I smile to myself as I toss ingredients into the cart, feeling a mix of excitement for the night ahead.

As I push my shopping cart through the aisles, my head is spinning with thoughts of tonight's dinner. Jane's request for sushi still lingers in my mind, though I know I need to find something everyone will enjoy—especially since Theo's bringing a guest.