Chapter Twenty

The morning sun filters through the sheer curtains of my apartment, casting gentle patterns on the floor. I stretch and blink away the remnants of sleep, feeling the warmth of the moment. Beside me, Jane stirs, her hair fanned out like a halo across her pillow. I can hear the distant sounds of the city waking up outside.

"Good morning," she murmurs, yawning and propping herself up on one elbow. "Thanks for letting me crash last night. I had a blast."

"Me too," I smile, remembering our laughter and late-night heart-to-heart. "But I've got to get ready for my meeting with Amelia today."

"Right, you mentioned the wedding dress consultation!" She swings her legs over the side of the bed, stretching. "You're going to be amazing, just remember to breathe."

"Of course! I'll text him when I'm on my way," I reply, feeling a mix of excitement and nerves bubbling inside me.

After Jane leaves for work, I make my way to the bathroom, splashing cold water on my face. The reality of what I'm about to do sets in. I take a moment to breathe deeply, reminding myself of all the positive energy surrounding my recent experiences, especially with the success of my collection at Milan Fashion Week.

I pick out a soft, pastel-colored blouse paired with tailored trousers. It's professional yet stylish—just the right balance for meeting a bride-to-be. After a quick touch of makeup, I pull my hair into a chic ponytail and admire my reflection for a moment.

"Okay, Shannen, you've got this," I whisper to myself before grabbing my purse and heading out the door.

As I drive to Theo's boutique, I can't help but replay the last time I spoke with Amelia in my mind. I vividly remember our encounter at the café, where she approached me with her excitement from the show still fresh in her eyes. The chance meeting felt serendipitous, and I'm eager to help her create the dress of her dreams.

When I arrive at the boutique, the familiar scent of fresh fabric and the sight of neatly organized sketches puts me at ease. I spot Theo adjusting a display of dresses in the front window, his signature flamboyant style evident in every detail.

"Shannen! You're here!" he exclaims, his eyes lighting up as he approaches. "I was just thinking about you. How did your night out go?"

"It was great, but I'm a little nervous about today," I admit, biting my lip.

"Nonsense! You're a star! Who are we meeting today?" He motions for me to follow him into the studio area, and I take a deep breath.

"Amelia—she's a bride-to-be I mentioned to you when I asked you for your help. She saw my designs on the runway and wanted my help with her wedding dress," I explain as we move to the center of the room, where rolls of fabric and design boards are spread out.

"Amelia, you say? What a lovely name! I can't wait to meet her," Theo responds, smoothing a hand over a bolt of silk. "Is she here yet?"

"Not yet, but she should be arriving soon," I say, glancing at the clock on the wall.

"See? I told you after your debut at Milan Fashion Week, you captured everyone's attention. Now someone is asking for your help because your designs are simply stunning. This is where you're meant to be, darling. You were born to be a designer." Theo wraps his arm around me, squeezing my shoulder gently to ease my nervousness.

As I take a moment to absorb Theo's words, I can feel my nerves begin to settle. His unwavering confidence in me is like a warm embrace, reminding me of why I fell in love with this world of design in the first place. I glance around the studio, taking in the vibrant colors and fabrics strewn about, a testament to the creative chaos that fuels my passion.