Chapter Eight

The evening continues..

While we enjoy our pastries, the conversation flows naturally, filled with laughter and easy banter. I can feel a comfortable rhythm developing between us, and just as I'm about to ask about his experiences in Milan, Finnian leans back, a teasing glint in his eyes.

"You know, we met back then at the club in San Francisco," Finnian begins, a hint of amusement lighting up his face.

I tilt my head, confused for a moment. "At the club? When?"

He chuckles softly. "The night Lydia tapped you on the shoulder while you and Jane were in the middle of dancing. Remember?"

It all comes back to me. That night at the club. Jane and I were having fun, dancing and laughing, trying to lose ourselves in the music when—of course—Lydia showed up, pulling all the attention her way. She had two men with her, one of them wrapped possessively around her waist. I hadn't paid much attention to the other guy.

"Oh God, I remember," I reply, eyes widening. "Lydia came out of nowhere! She brought her boyfriend right and another guy?"

Finnian nods, a knowing smile on his face. "Yeah, and I was that other guy... trying to blend into the background."

"You?" I feel my cheeks warm with surprise. "I didn't even realize. I mean, Lydia was already being a bit... overwhelming."

Finnian laughs, rubbing the back of his neck. "I can't blame you. She tends to do that. And Leonardo—well, he likes showing her off. I just happened to be tagging along that night. I wasn't exactly thrilled about being there."

The image sharpens in my mind: Lydia's boyfriend, Leonardo, holding her tight, while Finnian stood next to them, quietly watching. Jane had mentioned that one of the guys had looked at me more than once, but I was too caught up in trying to keep my cool around Lydia to notice.

"So it was you who kept looking at me?" I ask, raising an eyebrow, trying not to laugh.

He nods, sheepishly. "Yeah... I mean, it's not every day you see someone like you in the middle of all that."

"Someone like me?" I repeat, playfully raising an eyebrow.

"Someone who looked like they actually wanted to be anywhere else." He grins, meeting my eyes. "You were clearly not thrilled to be dealing with Lydia's antics. I felt for you."

I let out a small laugh, remembering how awkward that moment was. "I think I was more annoyed than anything. Lydia loves to make everything about herself, and she always brings this... energy that kind of throws everything off."

Finnian shakes his head with a smile. "Tell me about it. Leonardo's my best friend, but being around Lydia is like walking on eggshells. That night, she was trying so hard to show off in front of you."

"She always does that," I say, rolling my eyes. "It's like she enjoys putting me on the spot."

"That's exactly what it felt like," Finnian agrees. "I felt bad because, honestly, I wanted to drag you away from their sight... but, well, I was kind of stuck with them."

I smile, remembering Jane's teasing about how I seemed to have caught someone's eye that night. I hadn't given it much thought then, but knowing it was Finnian now adds an interesting twist. "Well, you could've said something, you know. Lydia or not."

He raises an eyebrow. "I don't think it would've gone over well with Lydia clinging to Leonardo like that. She probably would've made some snarky remark or tried to drag me away."

I chuckle. "You're probably right. She has a way of controlling any situation she's in."

There's a moment of shared laughter, the awkwardness of that past night fading into something lighter now that we're talking about it.