Chapter Nineteen

As Jane and I step into the nightclub, the familiar pulse of the bass hits me like a wave, washing over me with a rush of memories. The lights flicker across the crowd, and I feel a nostalgic pang in my chest. The place is the same, but I'm different now—more secure, more self-assured.

Jane glances around, a mischievous grin lighting up her face. "Oh my god, Shannen," she nudges me playfully. "This is the place where it all started, isn't it? The first time we finally hung out after months of being buried in work, and then bam—Lydia with her smug face, came in with two men."

I can't help but laugh, shaking my head at the memory. "How could I forget? I was so annoyed to see her that night."

"And then," Jane continues, her voice dropping dramatically as if sharing a juicy secret, "The other guy, just so happened to be your now-boyfriend, standing next to that couple literally smittened bu you. And you had no idea at the time!"

Grinning, I brush the velvet fabric of my dress. "I didn't even notice him at first... you were the one who told me that the other man was looking at me afterwards. " I reply with a wink. The two of us share a knowing laugh, our bond stronger than ever, even amid the messes life throws our way.

In this moment, I realize how far I've come—not just in my career but in my ability to face the past without letting it weigh me down. The music, the laughter, the vibrant energy surrounding us feels like a celebration of new beginnings, and I'm ready to embrace whatever comes next.

—————

After some light dancing, Jane motions that she's going to find a table, and I make my way to the bar, searching for drinks for both of us. The flashing lights cast a glow on the marble countertop as I wait for the bartender to notice me. I tap my fingers lightly, lost in thought, replaying the night's memories.

Suddenly, I feel someone approach beside me. A voice I haven't heard for some time cuts through the noise, low and hesitant.

"Shannen?"

My heart skips a beat. I turn to face him. Kyle. My ex-boyfriend—the man who shattered my trust years ago. His familiar face, the first time I see him up close after previous encounters, and I notice he is slightly older now, still has that same charming aura that once captivated me. For a moment, I'm speechless, the memories rushing back too fast to process.

Kyle seems equally taken aback by seeing me. He clears his throat, his voice softer than the last time I met him in Milan when I was with Finn.

"Can we talk?" he says.

I narrow my eyes, the initial shock fading into something colder. I consider just walking away—ignoring him like the ghost of my past that he is—but instead, I nod once, almost against my better judgment.

We find a quiet corner of the bar, away from the dance floor, where the noise is more of a muffled hum. The tension between us is palpable, our history hanging in the air like a weight neither of us can shake.

The moment stretches between us, the music and noise of the club fading into the background. I can feel Kyle's eyes on me, and there's an ache deep inside, a wound that never fully healed. But I've learned to live with it. I've learned to bury the pain.

He breaks the silence first, his voice low, pleading. "Shannen, we spent years together. We loved each other. We were supposed to be forever. And now... knowing you've found someone new? Do I even deserve an explanation? Do I mean nothing to you now?"

I stare at him, the words cutting deep, but I hold my ground. "Kyle, you made your choice. You threw us away when you cheated. You destroyed what we had."