Is Mum Really In Control?

Flashback

The alarm starts to go off. Signalling everyone to start getting ready for another mission.

Of course you didn't have to worry about it because Reginald never let you or Vanya go with the others.

Allison began running down the stairs "coming through, come on Luther!" Allison complains as she began running down the hall.

"How will the Umbrella Academy ever become an effective crime deterrent, if we can't even leave the house on time for missions?" Reginald yelled.

"Behind you" Luther warned Reginald as he ran past him.

"Come along, children, come along!" Reginald said trying to hurry the children along.

Allison was rummaging through her draws "I can't find my domino mask!" She said.

Our mother walked in behind her, "it needed a little bit of TLC after the last mission" she said holding out Allison's mask.

"Thanks, mum" Allison said calmly then ran out of her room.

Mum walked to the next room to see Luther doing push ups, "ready to go?" She asked.

"Yeah" Luther smiled and held out a thumbs up before continuing his push ups.

Diego was running around trying to find his knives. The next room mum went into was Vanya's, Vanya was calmly playing her violin.

"Sounds beautiful, Vanya" mum told her.

"Thanks, mum" Vanya said happily.

Mum continued walking until she heard Klaus laughing in his room, when she reached his room he was jumping on his bed, watching his draw burn.

"Oh! Klaus!" Mum sighed as she began putting out the fire.

"Thank you, mother" klaus replied.

As mum started walking out she sighed "boys will be boys."

Ben was running down the hallway and to mum. "Oh, Ben" she said when she saw Ben struggling to zip up his suit.

"It, it's stuck" he said in a panic. Mum helped him zip it up and then Ben went running again. "Guys, wait for me!"

Diego was in his room standing in front of his mirror, struggling to say a word. Mum then walked into his room.

"Remember, Diego, just picture the word in your mind." Mum reminded him, Diego sighed and tried again.

"D-Don't mm- muh-" he took a breath "D-Don't mmm- Don't mo-move." He managed to say it and smiled.

"You did it! I'm so proud of you!" Mum congratulated him and caressed his cheek with her hand.

Reginald then cleared his throat and when mum turned to face him her smile dropped.

She walked out of the room and noticed you on the stairs, you were sitting on the third step, reading a novel you had just started.

"How's your book going, sweetheart?" Mum asked you with a gentle smile.

You looked up from your book, "it's going good, mother" you told her and then smiled.

Present time

After your conversation with Diego, he started to doubt if mum actually had control over herself and her actions.

She was sitting in her usual resting place doing her cross stitching. Diego walked up to her, "mum, we need to talk" He told her.

"Okay, but only for a minute, I need to finish the cross stitch" she replied.

"Everything you did for us when we were kids, for me, why'd you do it?" Diego sighed.

"Because being your mother is the greatest gift of my life" she smiled and said as if she was a real person.

"Is that you saying that?" Diego asked and moved closer to mum.

"I'm not sure what you mean, Diego" mum said, confusion painted on her face.

"I mean, our father, he made you. When you think something, is it like he's telling you what to say?" Diego questioned her.

"Your father isn't here, silly" she chuckled and said rather quickly. Diego kept looking at her, "did I do something wrong?" She asked.

"No, it's, it's not, look" Diego knelt down next to mum. "If you hated him, he was terrible to you, to all of us" Diego said softly.

"Don't say that" mum said.

"Why not?" Diego asked her. "We were just tools in an experiment to him, nothing more. So I'm saying, I would understand if" Diego paused and looked around. "You know if, if you wanted to hurt him."

"Okay, now, now, Mr hargreeves was a great man. Industrialist, inventor, Olympic gold medalist. He made the world a better place" mum said, she then stood up.

Diego harshly grabbed her by her shoulders and made her face him. "Stop it!" He took a breath, "do you hear me? Stop trying to defend him!" Diego shook her slightly, "mum, you gotta feel something. Look he treated you worse than anyone. You worked for him for 30 years, and he didn't even give you a room to sleep in" Diego told her.

Mum smiled "but I've got such beautiful views here." She said looking at the paintings.

"Mum, those are just paintings" he told her.

"Of course they are, what a wonderful world she lives in." She said looking at a painting of a woman. "Sometimes I wonder if she's lonely."

Diego sighed and walked away.

Time skip

It was late at night and Five was in the driver's seat of the van with Delores in the passenger, since it was late you were asleep in the back.

The van was parked and Five was staring out the window. "You know, you don't have to tell me that. I know there are only six days left" he said responding to whatever he thought Delores had said.

"Yeah, you got a better idea?" He complained to her, he then scoffed "okay, then"

Lance walked out of the lab, "there's our guy" Five said, observing him.

Lance was carrying a black duffel bag, Fives eyebrows furrowed as he watched him. Lance then walked up to a car, he took a small yellow package from the driver and placed the duffel bag in the back of the car.

The car then drove away and Lance stared walking else where.

What was he up to?

Word count: 1005