Time Traveling Crapshoot

Flashback
______________ ☂️ _______________

Mum rang the bell, letting us know lunch was ready, you all came down the stairs and stood behind your chairs in the dining room.

Reginald walked in and stood behind his chair. "Sit" he said and you all sat down and started eating. You were sat between Five and Diego and opposite of Klaus.

Five looked annoying and he was playing with his knife. Five stabbed the knife into the table, causing everyone to look at him. "Number Five?" Reginald called.

"I have a question" Five states.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules, no talking during mealtimes." Reginald responded, "you are interrupting Herr Carlson." He added, Five pushed his plate aside.

"I want to time travel" Five said.

"No" Said Reginald.

"But I'm ready, I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." Five argued, Five spatial jumped next to Reginald "see?" Five said.

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel." Reginald said, "one is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn" Reginald said making everyone confused.

"Well, I don't get it" Five said annoyed.

"Hence the reason you're not ready" Reginald replied. Vanya shook her head at Five telling him to stop but he didn't.

"I'm not afraid" Five tried to reason with Reginald.

"Fear isn't the issue" Reginald said. "The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable" Reginald says getting annoyed while trying to eat, he then throws his cutlery down. "Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore" Reginald said in annoyance.

Five walks off "Number Five!" Reginald yelled out. "You haven't been excused!" Reginald said and Five started running to the door. "Come back here!"

Five was walking down the street. Five then jumped through time, he looked around at everything that had changed.

"Not ready, my ass" Five said while time traveling again. It was snowing, Five continued to look around, five smiled then started running and time traveling again.

This time the city was burnt down and on fire. Everything was destroyed and there wasn't another person in sight.

Five began running, he ran as fast as he could. He stopped when he made it to the academy. "Y/n!" He yelled, "Ben!" He continued to yell, "dad! Anyone!" He yelled turning around, Five tried to time travel back but he couldn't.

"Come on!" He yelled. "Shit" he mumbled to himself when he continued to fail to time travel back.

Five fell to his knees in front of the academy. His eyes started to water, and he didn't even bother to stop them.

Present time
_______________ ☂️ ________________

"I survived on scraps, canned food, cockroaches" Five said and you gagged when he said cockroaches. "Anything I could find, you know that rumour that Twinkies have an endless shelf life?" Five asked and chuckled, "well it's total bullshit."

"I can't even imagine" Vanya told five and five continued speaking

"You do whatever it takes to survive, or you die. So we adapted, whatever the world threw at us, we found a way to overcome it."

"We?" Vanya asked confused on who Five was with.

"You got anything stronger?" Five asked raising his cup of coffee. Vanya walked over to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle.

While Vanya was pouring drinks you placed your hand on Fives to comfort him, and he smiled softly at your gesture. Vanya came back over with two glasses of alcohol one for Five and one for herself.

Of course she didn't think of pouring you a glass, you've been asleep for 17 years and your in a thirteen year olds body. When you fell into a coma you missed out on all those golden years of growing into an adult and have even drank before.

Five takes a sip from his glass, then hands the glass to you for you to try it. You look at it strangely then took a very hesitant sip. You scrunched your nose at the burning sensation it caused in your mouth and handed the glass back to Five.

"You think I'm crazy" Five says.

"No, it's, it's just, it's a lot to take in." Vanya stutters.

"Exactly what don't you understand?" Five says sternly.

"Why didn't you just travel back?" Vanya asks and you scoff.

"Gee, wish I'd thought of that." Five said sarcastically, "time travel is a crapshoot, I went into the ice and never acorn-ed." He said, "you think I didn't try everything to get back to my family?" Five told Vanya and you looked down to the ground.

"If you grew old there, you know, in the apocalypse, how come you still look like a kid" Vanya asked gesturing to Fives body.

Five scoffed "I told you already" Five said walking over to the bottle of liquor. "I must have gotten the equations wrong" Five said pouring more into his glass.

"I mean, Dad always used to say that, time travel could mess up your mind. Well, maybe that's what's happening" Vanya said and you glared at Vanya.

"This was a mistake, your too young" Five said regreting ever talking to Vanya.

Five started grabbing his stuff, "too naive to understand" Five said.

"No, Five, Five wait" Vanya interrupting Five when he grabbed your hand.

Five turned around to face Vanya, "I haven't seen you in a long time, and I don't want to lose you again, that's all." Vanya said and Fives gaze softened.

"And you know what, it's getting late, and I have lessons early, and I need to sleep. I'm sure you guys do, too" Vanya said. Vanya walked over to the couch and layed a blanket out, making a temporary bed on the couch.

"We'll talk again in the morning, okay? I promise" Vanya told Five, "night" Vanya said and began walking off.

"Night" Five responded, you watched Vanya go to her room and shut the door behind her. Five sat on the couch with a cloth, he then began to unwrap the cloth revealing a prosthetic, glass eye.

"Why do you have an eye?" You asked Five but he ignored you, examining the eye closely.

Five turned the eye around and saw a serial number and a place.

"I guess I'll take the floor then, you can have the couch" you offered Five. Five grabbed your hand, "you're not sleeping on the floor" he said "why?" You asked.

"Because we're not staying" Five began to sneak out of Vanya's apartment with your hand in his.

"Vanya will worry about us, Five" you say. Five just sighed, "don't worry about her, y/n" he replied.

Word count: 1127