First Encounter

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a golden hue over the sprawling estate that once belonged to the richest family in South Korea. Yang Jungwon stood at the threshold of what had been his home, feeling like a ghost in the place where laughter and warmth had once reigned. Today, on his twentieth birthday, he faced the stark reality of loss. His father's tragic accident had stolen not just his father but the very essence of his life.

Now, all that remained was a mountain of debt, a bank that wouldn't relent, and a heavy silence that filled the empty halls. With nothing left to his name, Jungwon was forced to leave behind the trappings of his privileged existence.

Mrs. Lee extended her hand to him in his time of need. "Come, Jungwon," she had said, her voice warm and reassuring. "You can stay with us. I have a job for you. It's not much, but it's something." Grateful yet hesitant, he accepted, knowing it was a lifeline.

Mrs. Lee can't help but looking at the young man with kindness reminded her of how Jungwon used to live his life to the fullest.

The Lee mansion was a shadow of what it used to be; the grandeur faded but still beautiful in its own right. Jungwon threw himself into the work, tackling each chore with a determination that surprised even himself. Mrs. Lee treated him like family, praising his kindness and work ethic. He found solace in the small moments—sharing meals with the staff, laughing at their jokes, and finding comfort in the camaraderie of their shared struggles.

But the warm welcome quickly turned icy when Mrs. Lee's son, Heeseung, returned from his business trip. Jungwon had heard about him—his reputation as a successful, sharp-witted entrepreneur preceded him. However, nothing could prepare him for the haughty demeanor Heeseung displayed upon his arrival.

The moment Heeseung stepped through the door, the atmosphere shifted. He swept past Jungwon without a glance, his sharp gaze scanning the room with a mix of disdain and superiority. "What's he doing here?" he demanded, his voice dripping with contempt. "Are we running a charity now? This isn't a shelter for lost causes."

Jungwon felt his heart sink. Heeseung's arrogance felt like a slap, and he suddenly found himself grappling with emotions he had thought he had locked away. Despite his best efforts to remain invisible, Heeseung took pleasure in making Jungwon's tasks more difficult—an unspoken challenge that left Jungwon feeling both frustrated and humiliated.

"Make sure the garden is pristine by the time I'm back from my meeting," Heeseung sneered one day, dismissing Jungwon with a wave of his hand. "We wouldn't want the place looking as shabby as you."

"Of course," Jungwon replied, keeping his voice steady. "I'll make sure it looks its best."

Heeseung narrowed his eyes, clearly unimpressed. "Just don't think I'll be impressed by some half-hearted effort. I expect excellence, especially from someone like you."

Jungwon swallowed hard, forcing himself to remain calm. "I understand. I'll do my best."

"Your best? That's what everyone says. But I doubt you even know what 'best' means," Heeseung shot back, his tone dripping with scorn. "Do you even know how to tend to a garden? Or will you just pull out the weeds and call it a day?"

"I used to help my father with our garden," Jungwon replied, trying to keep the irritation out of his voice. "I know what I'm doing."

Heeseung crossed his arms, a smirk playing on his lips. "Is that supposed to impress me? Your past doesn't change your present. You're just another hired hand now."

Jungwon clenched his fists, the anger simmering beneath the surface. "I'm just trying to make the best of a difficult situation."

"Difficult for you, perhaps. But for me? This is a joke," Heeseung said, shaking his head. "You'll have to earn my respect, Jungwon. And I don't hand that out lightly."

"Respect is earned through actions, not words," Jungwon retorted, surprising even himself with the firmness in his tone.

Heeseung raised an eyebrow, intrigued by Jungwon's defiance. "Interesting. But you'll soon learn that in this world, people like you don't get far without knowing their place."

"Maybe it's time for you to reconsider what 'place' means," Jungwon replied, standing a little taller.

For a moment, the air crackled with tension, the two young men staring each other down. Jungwon felt a flicker of something—perhaps the spark of a challenge or the promise of change.

Little did they know, their paths were about to intertwine in ways neither could anticipate, leading to discoveries that would challenge everything they thought they knew about family, loyalty, and the fragility of life itself.