Chapter 9: An Idea

Madeline's POV
Marcella and I are tight. We always find time to be around each other especially now that life is literally pulling us apart. We are not under the same roof anymore and that means that we have to make more effort to meet up. We are having lunch in one of our favorite spots. As usual, Marcella is late. She can never keep time.

How will she pull off a nursing career if she's always late? Her patients will die because she was late. Daddy wanted her to become a doctor but her grades didn't make the cut. I think that she has always wanted to be a nurse. She likes to take care of people. Her selflessness is endearing. If only I could care that much about strangers.

I'm going through a bunch of photographs, looking for the center piece I'll use in the opening of my gallery. I need something that will be eye-catching. Kei says it should be the highest priced piece in th gallery. I don't like any of these photographs.

"I'm sorry I'm late!" She called out from a short distance.

Marcella is a bubble of happiness. She infects everyone with her joy. Everyone except Marcelle who seems to be immune to it. He can maintain a poker face even when Marcella is laughing her head off. They are as different as day and night. Nothing about them is similar. Bella and Ella are not that different. Miki and Matt are a pair in trying to understand. I got up and hugged her.

"We're you trying to figure out what to wear?" I asked her.

"I think that it is funny that we have so many clothes, yet we can never figure out what to wear!" She replied with laughter in her voice.

I looked over the tight denims and white vest. I think she's putting on weight. It's a silent rule in our family not to comment on anyone's weight. Only nonna breaks that rule by poking the areas she thinks need work. Mom will probably offer a salad over a muffin. Daddy doesn't say anything.

"I feel you. Same problem everytime I have to go out. Did Terrence drive you here?"

She is always with Terrence.

"Yes he did."

This is one thing I plan to throw in daddy's face. We are not allowed to have boyfriends yet Marcella can be engaged at fifteen. It's not right.

"Doesn't it get old? Aren't you hired or curious of there are other options?"

"What do you mean?"

"I have nothing against Terr but aren't you too young to really know what you like in a man?"

"I like Terr." She smiled innocently.

Oh boy! Something tells me that she really does like him but she's too young to know what love is and I don't think she loves him. I just don't see the chemistry when they are together.

"If you're happy -"

"I am." She answered quickly. "What are you ordering? I'm starving! I feel carby! I'm thinking bruschetta with some soup."

"I'll match your energy. Whatever you eat, I eat." I cast away the menu.

When the waiter came by, he flashed a perfect smile at Marcella. Yes, she always gets all the attention. As she gave our order, I kept looking at the photographs. She reached out and took a few. "I can't pick the center piece for the opening."

"They all seem nice."

"Nice doesn't cut it. I need something exciting!"

My attention drifted to a man waiting the next table. His arms are full of tattoos. I know a man who is full of tattoos. Naft! "Yes!" I shrieked, drawing sudden attention our way.