Chapter 7: Concessions

Naftali's POV
Graduation has come and gone.

My father threw me a lavish party. There was plenty to eat, plenty to drink and the party lasted through the night. For the first time, when my father gave his speech, be said he was proud of me. He wants me to start working in the company. He said I'll work under older brother until I prove myself. It all seems like my life is set up. I will have financial stability.

What I'm about to do will certainly break my father's heart.

"Ah! Ares! Come in my boy!" He laughed heartily. "Gentlemen, this is my boy Ares! He just graduated!"

The men in his office shook my hand. They offered their congratulations.

"Dad, can I talk to you?" I asked. "Alone?"

"Please excuse us." He happiysent off his friends. "Are you excited? You start on Monday.  You will make a fine addition to the finance department."

"Actually, about that."

His expression changed drastically. "Ares, don't..."

"I will be happy to work for you but I think you should know that I will not keep my word to you. I'm going after Madeline Bale."

He sank in his seat.

"What did you say boy?"

"I am in love with her."

His face is pale and void of emotion. He expressed rage over our grandmother, Rebecca Pallis being rejected by Nathaniel Bale. He hates the Bales.

"You are being foolish. I am giving you an opportunity to get ahead of everyone you graduated with but you stand there and talk about love? A Bale of all the women you could have?"

"It wouldn't be fair to work for you and love her in secret. She's not to ve loved in secret-"

"Her father forbid it!"

"Her father is well meaning but it's not enough for me. I refuse to give her up."

"And I warned you that there will be consequences if you keep up this madness! Didn't I?"

"Father -"

"Choose your next words carefully Ares! You future deoenda on what you say."

Exactly. My future depends on what I say.

"I am pursuing Madeline Bale."

He looks like he will explode with rage. He has a hot temper! He threw a paper weight at me. It crashed against the wall. "I have had enough of your insolence Ares! You are a foolish boy! Take that back!"

"No."

"Fine! You won't take it back?"

"No. I'm not taking it back."

"Since you have chosen to pursue this course, I have no choice but to see my promise through. You will be removed from the Pallis trust. You will no longer get a cent from me. You are also not allowed to use my name anymore. Now get out."

Disinheritance is not a strange thing in my world. It's the threat parents use to control their children. In my case, what I feel for Maddie is stronger than my need for a trustfund. I'll just have to work my ass off from now on.

***
He took everything. He took the apartments. He locked me out of the trust. He revoked my access to the private jet and the yachts. It all gone. All I have is what I had saved up and it is not enough to live on especially with the way I'm used to living; high end.

"I think it was stupid." My older brother told me. "Right Dafne?"

"Very stupid." She agreed.

"I think it's romantic." Gaia ribbed circles around my back.