Chapter 10: Daddy Knows

Madeline's POV
Kei came through for me in a lathe way!

It's not just the venue. It's not just the elite guest list.  It's everything that she has done to make tonight possible. I'm over the moon with excitement!

"This is the best b'day gift ever Kei!" I hugged her, fighting an urge to squeal like a little girl.

"Can we record that for your father?" She chuckled as we posed for a photograph in front of the red ribbon.

My father obviously showed up for this. Nonna,  a fashion mogul has also graced us with her presence. Everyone knows that paparazzi love uncle Tony and he is also part of the picture. Kei brought all the right people to make the opening of this gallery something to talk about for weeks to come.

When I received a pair of gold scissors to cut the ribbon, I paused for a moment. There's one thing that is not right about this picture. Naft isn't here. I would have wanted him beside me. My smile faded a little as I hesitated.

"What's wrong sweetie?" Kei asked me.

"Do you want a bigger pair of scissors?" Daddy teased me.

"She's waiting for me!" It's like we all snapped our heads around to stare at her. Has she no boundaries? She just couldn't help but show up! "Move Kei! I'm the mother!" She physically pushed Kei aside so that she can stand next to me. "Nick."

"Witch." Daddy almost snarled under his breath.

"Kei, can you help me cut this?" I invited her back to the scene. Daddy pulled my mother back so that she doesn't cut in. "Thank you for this."

Together we cut the ribbon and as it fell to our feet and our guests applauded, the opening of the gallery is now official.

I led the guests into the gallery and at the center of it all is the master piece that Naft agreed to. It's covered with purple silk, waiting for me to unveil it.

"What is underneath?" Daddy asked me.

"A masterpiece." I answered.

He smiled rather wryly. "Congratulations Madeline. I didn't believe you were serious about this. Kei has bent over backwards to make this a success. Don't let her down."

He kissed my forehead. Why do I feel suddenly bad for what is under the silk? But daddy won't know it's Naft. He did not want his face to be seen. With a little editing, there's only a fraction of his face. The rest of it is faded, like smoke to the wind. The grey and white masterpiece had surprised me too. Naft hasn't seen it. I hoped he would be brave enough to be here tonight, to see how beautiful a man he is.

"Ladies and gentlemen..." I began. "...I'm not big on speeches. In fact, if it was up to me, I wouldn't address you. I believe the artwork around me, pieces that I have worked on for the last couple of months and some as far back as I was a seven year old girl will speak for me.  I want to thank all of you for showing up today and I hope this will be a memorable night for all of us."

When I pulled the silk off the masterpiece that is almost six feet tall, an applause broke that echoes through the gallery. Like the rest of the guests, I'm in awe over Naftali's form. I turned around, looking out for him in the crowd but I can't see him. I can only see daddy's frown. Yes, he is thinking exactly what any other parent with a nineteen year old daughter would think. Who is the man and where was I when the photograph was taken?

The answer won't make him happy.

"Who is that?" Bea whispered in my right ear.

"How much?" Naila whispered in my other ear.