Chapter 13: Underhanded Intentions

Nick's POV
I remember that time Helena and Gio cut me off. Having grown up rich, I had gotten too comfortable, barely making investments or even saving up. Whatever was not part of my paycheck, I lost to my ex wife. I lost it all for this difficult girl I'm dealing with now. I made sacrifices for Madeline. Those sacrifices ripped me apart. That is why I'm especially pissed when she defies me.

I had Tony to fall back on but honestly, it was embarrassing to live off my little brother. I was also too ashamed to go back home to my parents. My saving grace came when Kei helped me land a place on a project that paid off by the millions. If not for her, I would have struggled much longer. With the kind of scandals I was tied to, no one would have dared touched me. I was a CEO who had fallen off his pedestal, marred by scandal that left a mark.

Looking at Naftali, I can't help but admire a few things about him. Back at his apartment when I gave him an option to run, he chose to be punished. He got disinherited by his father because he refused to let go of Madeline. He keeps seeing her even when he knows I'll punish him for it. I remember Helena threatening to disinherit me if I didn't leave Kei alone. I understand Naftali because once upon a time, I loved like that. I was determined. I'm glad I never listened. I understand the fight in the boy and that's why I felt sorry for him when he confessed that he loves Madeline. I'm not sure Madeline loves him. I'm yet to see it, something more than crude defiance to what I tell her. She gets off on challenging me.

Word is his father is frustrating his efforts to get a job. He is turned away every single time. I guess he gave up on an office job because he is currently working odd jobs to get by. Odd jobs to keep up appearances, trying to fit into a world that is no longer his own. Right now, it's construction. I appreciate a hard worker. It's not about what he has but his character. I'm afraid his character is growing on me. I hate this, but it's true. It would be unfair not to give him credit.

I got my hands on his CV. I can make a place for him at Bale Industries. I'm tempted to ask for something in return but after my conversation with Kei, I'll change my game. No more challenging what Madeline has with him. I will not acknowledge it or encourage it. I will not stop them. I just want to make this boy indebted to me. That should be the beginning of something that will test Maddie's determination. Is it defiance or love?

I'll do them part but in a clever way.

Naftali's POV
Everyone eventually gets to the point of blowing a fuse. My fuse blew when I got fired from my construction job.

Six months of pushing myself and I wake up this morning to a dismissal without any explanation. They may not be willing to give me one but I know why it's so.

"Where do you get off fucking up my life like this?" I exploded.

The whole room fell into a mixture of silence and surprise. Gaia's jaw dropped. Dapne is just staring. I gave walked in on them while having breakfast. I'm the outsider who doesn't get to be part of this.

"Good morning Ares. Did you take a bus here?"

When I lunged forward my brother grabbed me. "Calm down Naftali!"

"You took your money and your name! What else do you want from me? My sanity?"

"I want everything!" He exploded.

Dimitrius comes off serious but he doesn't have a temper. I get this temper from my father. I was just better at keeping it in check until this morning.

"What is he talking about?" My mother's voice seemed to draw me out of it.

I came in blinded by rage I didn't even notice her. She looks even more wasted away than I remember. She has lost so much weight. I don't get to see her because she lives with him. We only speak over the phone and she sounds stronger than she looks.