xxvii. SOMETHING ACROSS THE WATER!

ACT ONE

ACT ONE. a game of cat-deer and mouse!
CHAPTER xxvii. ❛ SOMETHING ACROSS THE WATER! ❜

 ❛ SOMETHING ACROSS THE WATER! ❜

THE PALACE,
AGNA QUEL'A.

        "WELL, YOU'RE A LOT SHORTER THAN YUE," Jing-hai's betrothed observes as he circles her like a shark. Jing-hai rolls her eyes as Hahn paces up and down the palace, making sure every flaw in his soon-to-be bride were to be corrected. Hahn was only a warrior in the titular sense ━━━━━━ his father responsible for most of the tribe's success in the Hundred Years War. It appeared his son wished to follow in his high-ranking footsteps, something Jing-hai could only laugh at. Unlike her, Hahn had never fought pirates or survived the storm-ridden oceans or escaped a firebending fortress. She remembered Hahn from before her disappearance and the only thing he knew how to do was court girls, sharpen his unbloodied weapon and make kissy faces in the reflection of the ice. This match was catastrophic but she supposes it was better than he and the more compliant Yue. "But I suppose your worldly experience does make you kind of hotter."

Jing-hai pulled a face of disgust.

        "I don't expect such attitude from my future wife. Unless you want me to tell my father that this match was a bad idea. But then, of course, the Chief will be so disappointed. And I'd have to go back to Yue which is a real shame seeing how cosy she's gotten with that Southern Tribe peasant ━━━━━━ Sooka," Hahn taunts. The boy knew just how to push her buttons and Jing-hai's fists curled up. Then she remembered the sound of her sister's sobs and decided she must be strong. She lets the bending go and releases a breath, causing Hahn to smile. "Good girl. You know I have to say, I was a little surprised to hear you go to the Chief and beg to be the one to marry me instead. I heard you've got the hots for me. Bad. And who can blame you for not being able to resist...all of this?"