↠t e n ↠

Song of the chapter:
Love Me Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding

___________

After I calmed down, which took a bunch of encouragement from Ashton, he insisted that we go back home. I nodded slowly, looking at the door to the ER.

"Hazel." Ashton said, firmly.

I looked up at him.

"She is going to be just fine. Breathe. Okay?" He held out his hand to me so I could grab it.

When I did, he pulled me up and into a hug. "It's going to be okay." He whispered. I could feel his cool breath on my ear and I shivered.

I pulled away and started walking towards the parkade.

He didn't hurry to catch up with me and because I was walking so fast, his footsteps got farther away.

When I got to his Jeep, I tried the door handle but it was locked. I leaned against the car, and waited for him. Once he got in and unlocked the door for me, I got in and put on my seatbelt. When I looked up, he was staring at me.

"Can I help you?" I asked sarcastically.

He grinned. "Sorry." Then he looked away and started the Jeep.

I rolled my eyes and looked out the window. "I don't see how this is a good time to be smiling." I muttered.

He sighed. He still hadn't moved the vehicle. "I'm just trying to lighten the mood."

I glared at him. "I just saw my friend in the worst condition I've ever seen her in and you're trying to lighten the mood? Really. Ashton, I told you like five times, she might die, and you think it's all fun and games!"

He widened his eyes. "I was just trying to make you feel better!"

"Yeah, well, stop trying, because it's not working!" I yelled.

"Hazel, I--I just--" he stuttered.

"You just what?!"

Before I could react, he leaned into me and pressed his lips against mine. His lips were so soft and cool against mine. I felt myself lean in for a moment before I realized what was happening.

I pulled away. "Just stop." I said in a low voice, and pushed myself in my seat as far away from him as I could get and stared oit the window. I could not believe that just happened. I liked it but I knew I couldn't let it happen. I'd just get hurt in the end.

"Hazel. I'm--I'm sorry." He whispered. He sounded so helpless and my heart ached.

I said nothing and I heard him take a deep breath and he backed out of our parking space.

__________

When we got to Ashley's house, I got out of the Jeep as quickly as I could and went into the house before Ashton even opened his door.

When I got in, I was surprised to see Ashley's mother at the kitchen table with a half-empty cup sitting in front of her. She was staring at the cup blankly. Her eyes were red and swollen and she looked extremely tired.

"Lizzie?" I whispered, almost afraid that she'd flip or something.

She looked up at me. "Hello, Hazel." She croaked.

"Are you okay?" I asked. I stood in the same spot.

She nodded. "I have to go to bed." She stood up, leaving the cup where it was. "Night." She whispered.

I gave her a half-smile, which probably looked more like a grimace.

I watched her go up the stairs, and as I watched her, the door opened behind me. I looked, and Ashton was walking in, looking down at the ground. He was most likely embarrassed. I felt bad for a moment but remembered that he kissed me and I immediately pushed that feeling away. I stomped through the kitchen, away from him and downstairs.

He didn't follow me, and I heard dishes clinking around in the kitchen. Good, I thought. I didn't want him coming downstairs.

I went into my room and closed the door. I locked it so he wouldn't be able to come in.

I went into my closet and pulled out a pair of plain grey sweats and a black cotton t-shirt. I threw that on, and pulled my hair back into a ponytail.

I grabbed my iPhone out of my brown shoulder bag, along with my earbuds and put them in. I turned on some music.

I went to my bed and laid down on my bed, staring up at the white ceiling. "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding was blasting into my ears, and I felt myself thinking about Ashton, wondering what would happen if we were together.

Would he actually love me? Or would he use me? Would some other girl get in the way? I couldn't let him into my life, I couldn't!

I changed the song and "Back in Black" by AC/DC came on.

Much better, I thought.

I turned on my side and closed my eyes.

___________