Ch. 13 I Troubled Christmas

[unedited]

As I arrived back at the mansion, I could already see my dad and Uncle Venrich, my aunt's husband, waiting anxiously by the main door. Their worried expressions revealed their concern, and they were deep in conversation. My dad was on the phone, engaged in a call.

"Wala ba siya diyan? Kahit dumaan, wala?" It was dad's worried voice. "Segi, thank you...tell me if nakita niyo siya" He ended the call.

My shaking and aching feet carried me forward, and my Uncle Venrich was the first to notice my arrival. "Zariah!" he exclaimed, his relief evident in his voice. My dad followed his gaze and our eyes met.

Tito and Dad approached me, and my dad enveloped me in a tight embrace. Meanwhile, Uncle Venrich gently patted my head. Although my dad didn't run, he was panting heavily, showing signs of fear and worry. He had been extremely concerned for me.

What have you done, Zariah? Pinag alala mo sila...

"Daddy..." Mahina kong sambit.

Dad pulled away from the hug and looked at me, straight in the eyes. "Where have you been,huh?"

Should i tell him? Pero paano kung mas mag alala pa siya? But what excuse do i have in my pockets right now?

I was about to speak, but the loud noise of the door opening interrupted us. It was my family. First, my older brother Zander appeared, followed by my ate Maliyah and the rest of my cousins. Andito rin ang mga tita ko. They all came out of the door, expressing both relief and concern on their faces. They surrounded me, asking if I was okay and if I was hurt anywhere, inquiring about what had happened.

"Diyos ko... Saan ka nanggaling, Zariah?"

"Bunso ko, ayos kalang?"

"Faye...are you hurt somewhere?"

Lastly, it was my grandmother, who appeared with a furious expression on her face. I felt my entire body trembling with fear.

She moved towards me with a calm yet menacing demeanor, her eyes filled with sharp daggers. I stood there nervously as she scrutinized me from head to toe. It looked like she had seen something utterly unpleasant.

"Grandma..." I whispered. Wala akong masabi... I just froze there.

"Where have you been, young lady?" She reprimanded, her tone stern. Everyone listened in silence, waiting for my response.

Embarrassed, I gathered my courage and replied with a shaky voice, "Outside..."

Her brows furrowed in anger, "With a boy?" she said through clenched teeth, attempting to control her temper.

Anong sasabihin ko? I was with Ashteroh... And yes, he's a boy. Should i be honest?

Bahala na...

"Yes po..."

Dad, kuya... Everyone, I'm sorry.

Her eyes flared with pure revulsion as she looked at me, "I knew it!" she exclaimed. "Just look at yourself, Zariah Faye. You're a complete mess, and that jacket you're wearing clearly belongs to a man! Tell me, what exactly did you do?!" she boomed angrily. Everyone, myself included, was taken aback by her outburst.

"Ma, calm down... It's not like may ginawa sila, bata pa ang bunso ko. She can't do that..." Dad was trying to defend me. Nasa gilid ko lang siya, hawak hawak niya ang kamay ko.

"Can't?!" she fumed. "Just look at her, Zario! It's painfully obvious that she's been flirting with the person she was with... She might even be pregnant by tomorrow!" Grandma ranted.