Chapter 3: Well Who Is She? (Mari)

“Well I guess you did fail”

I had enjoyed Willow’s help, don’t get me wrong, but she had been odd. Like she had been waiting for people for years. I didn’t want to think much about it as I ate the food she had made me and Salvie. (nickname for Salvito) It was great but she seemed really tired. I didn’t want to bug her since she had gotten us food and a warm place to sleep so me and Salvito decided to talk quietly on the beds she got us.

“Do you think she feels off or…” Salvito trailed on, I shrugged.

“I mean a little, but who knows right?” I asked back, with a sigh I laid down on the bed. Gods did it feel good to have something other than hay to sleep on for once. Ever since the raid me and Salvito had to sleep in barns or on cots we could find that were heavily burnt from fire damage. It had been a long time since it, sure. But it still had a lasting effect and I had always been nervous if Axle would return.

“But you agreed to her on getting revenge!” Salvito argued back to me, I looked over at him. I didn’t want to fight my baby brother. I sighed and with a groan sat up.

“Revenge is currently our only answer to get back on him ruining my- Our lives!!” I snapped back, it was a very touchy subject for me, I hated when anyone said my people shouldn’t try to get revenge on him.

“I- Sorry, you’re probably right sis.” He mumbled quietly, that made me feel bad since he was never able to get friends.

“You know that’s not what I meant…” I tried to tell him.

“N-no, it’s fine sis, you’re right.” I sighed, we both laid down and hadn’t talked the rest of the night. I stared at the ceiling, there were prints of stars and moons there, I quietly counted them. It was like the phrase “counting sheep” or something but it worked since I saw Salvito asleep pretty quick after he started.
I sighed, looking around the small cottage, it wasn't that big. There was her bed in the far corner, me and Salvito's in the opposite corner, A small fire working oven and a small closet looking thing in the other. The cottage was about the size of a medium sized bedroom. But it looked workable to use, she had a single lantern to use for light on the ceiling as well.
“Just me awake.” I mumbled but Willow shifted in her bed to face me.

“I’m awake now, geeze what time is it?” She asked as she looked out the window and looked to the sky. She concentrated for a while.

“I’d say about midnight?” I guessed as she nodded a bit.

“Looks about it, yeah.” She said back before she lit a small fire in the oven to keep the cottage warm since it was getting cold.

“Thanks.” I told her as I laid back. “So what’s up with the whole ‘helping me and Salvito’ thing?” I asked as I looked up at her, I hadn’t realized how tired I was.

“Well I’m not some witch out to kill you if that’s what your asking. I’m going to be headed off to seek a way to get revenge, I’d want someone to either go with me or stay here and watch fe’fe.” She explained, I was confused. Why would she take me and Salvito to help her get revenge? “Look, I also overheard some Silvermane talking about two kids, some teenage brunette female and a light brown young male. I figured they were you when I found you. Can't say I’m wrong, can you?” She asked me. I shook my head, I couldn't say she was wrong.

“So you saved us from the Silvermanes, Why?” I asked back, believe me, yeah if me and Salvito got caught by them we’d be dead. But why was she helping strangers like us? We weren’t worthy of help or needing support.

“Because you and I both know you and your brother would be killed by them if I didn't save you or take you in, the least I can do is help. Besided, you’re the only survivors from the raid I've seen in years, it's been eight, you’d expect to find more than I have.” She had explained, I didn’t understand why i felt warm from her reassurance. I nodded though.

“Thanks for the help.” I Showed my gratitude for her.