Chapter 6: The Fallout (Continued)

---

Lisa stood by Taehyung, her heart heavy with the burden of their secret. “He needs time, Taehyung,” she said one evening, as they sat on the porch, watching the sunset paint the sky in shades of orange and purple. “You both do. But you should talk to him. He deserves to know the truth.”

Taehyung sighed, running a hand through his hair. “I know. I just… I don’t want to hurt him more. He’s my best friend, Lisa. I can’t lose him.”

The following day, with a heavy heart and a mind full of conflicting emotions, Taehyung finally decided to confront Jungkook.

He found him in the gym, shooting hoops alone, the sound of the basketball echoing through the empty space.

Taehyung took a deep breath, steeling himself for what he hoped would be a moment of understanding.

“Jungkook!” Taehyung called out, walking up to him.

Jungkook paused mid-shot, the ball bouncing off the rim and rolling away.

He didn’t meet Taehyung’s gaze as he walked over to retrieve it. “What do you want?” Jungkook asked, his tone cold.

“Can we talk?” Taehyung asked, desperation creeping into his voice. “Please.”

Jungkook crossed his arms, leaning against the wall with an air of defiance. “Talk about what? How you lied to me? How you kept Lisa a secret?”

“I didn’t lie to you,” Taehyung countered, trying to keep his voice steady. “I was trying to protect you.”

“Protect me?” Jungkook echoed, his voice rising. “By keeping me in the dark? Do you really think that’s how friends treat each other?”

“I was scared, okay?” Taehyung admitted, frustration spilling over. “Scared of losing you. You’re like my brother, and I didn’t want to hurt you.”

“By dating the girl I like? You think that’s not going to hurt?” Jungkook shook his head, disbelief etched on his face. “You should have told me.”

“I know, and I’m sorry!” Taehyung pleaded, stepping closer. “But Lisa and I… it just happened. I never meant to betray you.”

Jungkook’s expression softened just a fraction, but the hurt in his eyes remained. “I thought you were different, Taehyung. I thought you’d always have my back.”

“And I do! I always will!” Taehyung exclaimed, his voice breaking. “You mean the world to me. I can’t lose you over this.”

Silence stretched between them, heavy with unspoken words.

Jungkook looked away, and for a moment, Taehyung feared he’d lost his best friend for good.

“I need some time,” Jungkook finally said, his voice barely above a whisper. “I need to figure things out.”

Taehyung nodded, feeling a mix of relief and sadness wash over him. “Okay. Take all the time you need.”

As Jungkook walked away, Taehyung felt an ache in his chest.

He hoped that their friendship could withstand this storm, but doubt gnawed at him.