02. 𝑳𝒆𝒔 𝑮𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝑫𝒆 𝑳𝒂 𝑹𝒆𝒗𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏

Chapter 2.

✎ᝰ

May 18, 1832.

THE SUN HUNG high over Paris, filling the streets with golden warmth and life.

Elizabeth strolled through the bustling avenues, the laughter of her revolutionary comrades ringing in her ears.

The days felt lighter now that all her friends knew of her relationship with their fearless leader.

This was the first time Elizabeth had been out with them in what felt like years, although it had only been a matter of weeks. She had been far too caught up in her secret relationship, and keeping it a secret from the group of immature friends.

But now that the secret was out, she felt as though she could finally be around them, without a sense of guilt for lying.

She had forgotten how much she loved all the young revolutionaries. Each one of them. She was very grateful that they welcomed her back with open arms, without any comments about her absence.

Courfeyrac, just ahead, turned to throw an arm around her shoulders, his usual exuberance infectious.

"It's nice to have you back, all to ourselves, Lizzy!" he exclaimed, his exuberant grin catching the glimmers of sunlight. Murmurs of agreement rippled through the group.

"It's been too long since we acted like the young men we are!" Combeferre added, making Elizabeth laugh.

"I do hope you know, Combeferre, that I am in fact not a young man."

"That's right, she's not," Grantaire chimed in, "she's our firecracker!"

"Oh, right," Elizabeth scoffed, an eye roll delivered not unkindly. "You thought I'd disappeared forever?"

"Ah, but you're courting our great leader!" Courfeyrac teased, elbowing her playfully in the side. "You've thrown him off his game, so we had to call the cavalry!"

Laughter erupted as they continued to walk, the sounds of the bustling world around them. They reached the outskirts of the Luxembourg Garden.

A gentle breeze rustled the trees, the laughter of children echoed nearby, and couples strolled under blooming archways of vibrant flowers.

Setting down a blanket on the grass, the group quickly claimed their spots, sprawling out under the sun as they basked in the glow of summer.

Elizabeth kicked off her shoes, wiggling her toes in the softness of the earth; it felt exhilarating to not bear the weight of her endless thoughts, if only for a while.

"I'm not getting up until I've absorbed all this loveliness," she declared.

Typical boisterousness soon ensued as someone suggested a game of tossing a ball, an appeal too tempting to resist.

Courfeyrac and the others scrambled to their feet, breathlessly debating the rules, the spirit of competition stirring beneath the sun like a powder keg ready to explode.

"Let a real player show you how it's done!" Elizabeth chirped, rolling up her sleeves and tying back her hair with a quick, decisive tug.

The game began in earnest, the boys erupting into fits of laughter.

Elizabeth's heart raced as she chased after the ball, calling for it, reveling in the absurdity and joy shared between them.

The boys, aware of her competitiveness, banded together to keep the ball from her reach, tossing it from one to another with obnoxious glee.