Chapter 5: Shadows of the Past

The air in the Shinra facility grew heavier the deeper Victoria and Vincent ventured. The lights flickered, casting long shadows against the metallic walls, creating as eerie atmosphere that hinted at the darkness hiding in the depths of this place. But something felt off. It was subtle at first-the strange hum in the air, the lack of security the absence of the usual signs of a Shinra facility operating at full capacity.

Vincent had noticed it too. His crimson eyes flickered toward her as they descended into the lower levels. "Something's wrong," he muttered, his voice barely audible over the hum of machinery.

Victoria nodded. The stillness in the air set her nerves on edge, heightening her instincts. She clenched her fists, the memories of her past experiments clashing with the reality around her. The familiar sense of dread gripped her heart, but something else pulsed beneath it—an awareness that they weren't facing Shinra's usual forces. There was something more here.

"I don't like this," she admitted, her voice low. "It's too quiet."

As they approached a massive sealed door, the faint sound of voices carried through the air, echoing down the corridor. They exchanged glances—this was it. With a swift movement, Vincent pressed a hand to the control panel, and the door slid open with a hiss.

The room beyond was vast, a massive underground chamber, larger than anything they'd seen in Midgar's depths. But what caught Victoria's attention wasn't the size of the space—it was the army waiting for them. Dozens of soldiers clad in black and silver armor stood in formation, their faces obscured by helmets that gleamed under the artificial lights.

Not Shinra's soldiers. These were Deepground.

Her heart sank as she recognized the distinct armor. Deepground was the secret branch of Shinra, a rogue military force that had once wreaked havoc in Midgar. Victoria had heard stories of their ruthless tactics, their monstrous experiments. But they had been destroyed—or so everyone had believed.

Vincent's eyes narrowed. "Deepground," he growled, his voice laced with the cold fury of recognition.

Before they could react, a figure stepped forward from the ranks, his long crimson coat swaying as he moved with calculated elegance. Victoria's breath caught in her throat as the figure's face came into view—pale skin, piercing blue eyes, and a smile that sent a chill down her spine. His presence radiated a commanding aura, one that immediately set him apart from the soldiers at his back.

Genesis Rhapsodos.

She had heard his name whispered in the dark corners of her past, another experiment of Shinra's—one who had turned against them. But seeing him now, standing at the head of Deepground, was like facing a specter from a nightmare she hadn't even known she had.

"Genesis," Vincent murmured, his voice cold. "I thought you were dead."

Genesis smirked, tilting his head slightly. "Rumors of my demise were... premature," he said smoothly, his voice carrying a strange mix of amusement and malice. "Though, I suppose you two understand that better than most."

Victoria stepped forward, her hand instinctively gripping the hilt of her sword. "What do you want?" she demanded, her voice sharp. "Why is Deepground here? Why now?"

Genesis's smile faded, his eyes locking onto her with a sharp intensity. "Ah, Victoria Strife," he said, his tone turning cold. "The failed experiment. The one who escaped. You don't even know, do you? How much you took from me. How much Shinra took from me." His expression darkened, a flicker of rage crossing his features. "But don't worry. I'm here to repay the favor."

Victoria's blood ran cold. What was he talking about? She had never crossed paths with Genesis, had she? But something in his words—something in the way he looked at her—hinted at a history she didn't fully understand.