Chapter 10: Fractured Trust

It had been a week since the night Sephiroth stabbed Victoria and nearly ended her life. The atmosphere in Vincent's old mansion was one of tense anticipation, as Avalanche and the WRO worked together on a plan to take down Sephiroth and Deepground once and for all. Despite the flurry of activity and tactical meetings, Victoria remained withdrawn, her encounters with the team limited to brief moments when necessary. She spent most of her time alone, recovering in one of the secluded rooms, except for Vincent, who was the only person she allowed near her.

The mornings were quiet, and Vincent had grown used to finding Victoria in the mansion's dimly lit library, surrounded by old books and looking out the large bay window. Today was no different. She sat in the same spot, her legs tucked under her, staring outside as the rain drizzled down, casting dark shadows against the glass. Her face was pale, still recovering from the wound Sephiroth inflicted, but her silence was what worried him most.

Vincent approached her quietly, his presence a comforting shadow in the room. "You've been avoiding them," he said softly, not accusing but stating a fact.

Victoria didn't look at him. Her voice was distant, as if she were talking more to herself than to him. "I just... I don't have the strength for it. Not now."

"They're worried about you," Vincent continued, stepping closer and resting a hand gently on her shoulder. "Cloud, especially. He knows something's wrong."

At the mention of Cloud, Victoria visibly tensed. She shook her head, finally turning her gaze toward Vincent, her eyes clouded with uncertainty. "He wouldn't understand. None of them would. I've already put everyone in danger once."

"They're not going to abandon you," Vincent said, his crimson eyes locked on hers. "We've all faced worse together. You don't have to carry this burden alone."

Before Victoria could respond, a knock echoed from the door. It creaked open slightly, and Cloud stepped inside. His expression was unreadable, but there was a heaviness to his steps as he entered the room.

"Victoria, we need to talk. Alone," Cloud said, glancing at Vincent briefly before turning back to his sister.

Vincent looked between the two siblings, sensing the tension that was about to erupt. He nodded slightly, turning to Victoria. "I'll be nearby if you need me." Then, with a final glance, he left the room, the door closing softly behind him.

Once they were alone, Cloud crossed his arms, his posture tense. "You've been avoiding me," he began, his voice sharp.

"I've been resting," Victoria replied defensively, though she knew that wasn't the full truth.

Cloud's blue eyes, usually calm, were filled with something darker—anxiety, frustration, maybe even anger. "Is that all it is? Resting? Because it feels like you're hiding something again."

Victoria's eyes snapped to his, her pulse quickening. "I'm not hiding anything, Cloud. I'm just... I need space."

"I don't believe you," Cloud said bluntly, his voice rising. "After everything that's happened—Sephiroth coming after you, the experiments, the fact that you kept all of that from me for so long—you promised you'd be honest with me. You swore you wouldn't keep any more secrets."

"I'm not keeping secrets!" Victoria shot back, but the defensiveness in her voice only seemed to fuel Cloud's growing anger.

"Then why won't you tell me what's going on?" Cloud demanded, taking a step closer, his expression a mixture of hurt and anger. "I know there's more to this, Victoria. You've been acting strange ever since you woke up. Ever since that dream. You're hiding something. Why won't you let me help?"