Chapter 3: Brachionidium

This chapter is brought to you by 死神 by Kenshi Yonezu.

---

Noor stood by himself in the dimlit greenhouse.

Dark tendrils curled around him, stretched out from his shadows to survey the remnants left behind by his Young Lady Sister's neglect.

The air was no longer heavy with the scent of rot and decay.

It was clear to Noor that his Young Lady Sister had feigned interest in caring for the plants in this greenhouse for appearance's sake, but—and how should Noor put this more gently?—she had no affinity with plants and they have now all withered away.

Noor knelt beside a drooping fern, gently brushing his fingers over its dry fronds.

If anyone asked, Noor would say he was trying to coax life back into these dead plants for aesthetic reasons. He so very loved greenery.

In truth, however, he was in need of servants, had no desire to tame the wild plants in the woods, and was not interested in growing his seedlings from scratch.

The ones in the greenhouse will do just fine once he forces life back into them. He didn't care if he needed to drag them back from the afterlife by force, but Lord Father, they would come back to life or he would make his displeasures known.

Noor twisted his spiritual energy around the plants, infusing the shriveled leaves with vitality.

Where there was decay, there was also opportunity for renewal.

The greenhouse hummed with otherworldly energy.

He was careful stringing his energy through the space. The mortal planes of this world were unable to handle the essence of a Botanic Star, and his Lord Father would be deeply displeased if he caused it to collapse while he was merely redecorating the place.

A third eye emerged on Noor's forehead, but he quickly forced it back into the flesh puppet.

The excitement was too much. He loved what he did very much.

The finishing touches to mark his territory was to grow his personal flowers.

The  Flower—or orchids, as the mortals called them—were not servants, unlike the plants in this greenhouse, but rather, his children.

When he was a mere godling, the first planet he oversaw was a barren one. Being half of a Botanic Star, his naive godling self had propagated his own playmates to relieve boredom.

The mortal life forms on that planet were completely choked out by his children, but still, it remained the most beautiful planet in all of Lord Father's creations.

Noor grew the orchids into existence with a flick of a tendril until they nearly covered the entire space.

Mine.

He thought with satisfaction.

---

Noor was lovingly tending to a Brachionidium, carefully feeding its medium with a mixture of water from the Spring of Eternal Suffering and the blood of his true form.

His concentration broke when he felt a presence near the greenhouse.

It was a group of mortals. Three of them.

The shadows surrounding Noor flickered, sensing the newcomers, before quickly dispersing.

Noor continued his feeding like normal.