D-day

I'd like to thank again the people who are reading this story and those who are now following me :)

 -PL

D-day

I leaned against the counter; I was now facing him.

He scratched his head trying to find the right words for what he was about to say.

“I visited my cousin’s grave today...” He trailed.

“Nothing happened!” He continued seemingly angry at himself.

“What do you mean?” I asked cautiously.

“I mean, I stood in front of my little cousin’s grave, the one who was practically my brother when I was younger, and I didn’t feel anything! No tears, no anger just silence. What the hell is wrong with me?” He cried out.

 “Sorry, I shouldn’t have told you that. I think I should just leave...”  He said after he took a deep breath.

Kenneth stormed out of the apartment hitting unintentionally Lindsey as he walked out the door.

What is the deal with people? Is walking out angrily a trend; because I’ve had my fair share of those today!

I let out a sigh, still trying to comprehend what Kenneth’s words meant.

“Hi, so what did I just see exactly?” Lindsey asked confused.

“I’m still trying to figure it out...”

“He was all vulnerable and then he was upset...” I continued.

“Maybe you should call him; make sure he’s okay?”

“I barely know him; I’m not sure if I should do that” I answered.

“You saw him drunk and went to his house; I think that you know him very well.” Lindsey replied.

“What if he jumps off a bridge or something? How would you feel then?” she then asked me.

Why is she able to guilt me into things.

“Fine, I’ll call him. There’s no need to be so dramatic!” I replied. Knock on wood.

I took the phone and dialed Kenneth’s number, Lindsey still looking at me.

As the voicemail was about to start, I heard his voice.

“Hey, I wanted to know how you’re holding up. I’m kinda worried!” I laughed nervously.

Put yourself together.  Nellie this is so not a funny conversation...

I went in my room to continue our discussion, seeing that Lindsey was kind of ogling the phone…

“You shouldn’t worry. I’m in top shape! He laughed and I did the same.

Actual laughter is a good sign right?

I think that somewhere in my mind, I thought that seeing his grave would give me instant closure, but it didn’t!” Kenneth said irony andsadness in his tone of voice.

“You know my cousin and I would spend almost every summer together when we were teens. We’d always go at Victoria Park and listen to the shows.”

“And this one time, Trent saw this black squirrel; he thought it was a vampire bat. He was so scared but it was so funny.” He said nostalgic.

“I’ll stop my rambling now!”

“It’s okay. Seems like he was a great guy!” I replied.

“Yeah he was. I have to go; a bottle of Jack’s waiting for me.” Kenneth said in a serious tone.

I frowned and tried to figure out something to say, a couple of seconds went by before Kenneth spoke again.

“I’m just kidding! You really think I’m an alcoholic don’t you?” he said teasingly.

“I do not!” I replied and laughed.

We hung up and I gave all the details to Lindsey who was very interested in the conversation I just had.

Showtime

We were once again in the gymnasium where the black stage had been set up.

All the assigned teachers were waiting backstage for the presentations.

We saw Avery Dansfield go to the crowd as she was to greet everyone and introduce each teacher and their project.

 She stood straight while holding a microphone facing the students and teachers of the high school.

She looked like she was a TV host; she had an apparent ease to talk to an audience.

It wasn’t the first time she was doing that obviously.

“Good afternoon everybody! I’m sure you’re all as excited as I am to see what the teachers came up with for their initiation. So without a further do, let’s welcome Jason Lin and Gavin Marks!” Mrs. Dansfield exclaimed.

The guys went on stage rolling out a cart with a black blanket on it.

Mr. Marks took the microphone to explain as Jason revealed a volcano model which had small black inscriptions. It spread out lava of multiple colors.

“This volcano represents all the different people we can be in contact with and words that describeBaysfield Art High School. It’s a twist, obviously, on the classic volcano, so it’s kind of innovative don’t you think?” He asked in his naturally charming voice, the crowd applauded.

My former mentor and Margaret followed with a PowerPoint showing the accomplishments of past students and projects particular to the school.

After that, three teams went on stage for their presentation.

It was now our turn, my heart started to beat a little faster as it would always do when I was feeling stressed.

Avery Dansfield called out our names and cheered.

I stood on the stage first, Kenneth followed with the collage and an easel to display it.

I gulped as I looked at the crowd.

I can now say that I know what a room with two thousand people looks like!

Kenneth took the nearest microphone and began talking about the history of the school, who founded it etc.

You could see that he was really passionate about what he was saying.

He then handed me a microphone as it was now the time that I start to recite the poem we had written.

I took a deep breath and sort of felt my confidence make its way back to me.

“Baysfield Art High School is a place of discoveries

Students defining their artistry

This school symbolizes innovation

It can be seen by every student’s contribution

In the different domains that embodies the Arts…” I finished my part without remembering exactly what I had said.

Then, Kenneth continued with his part of the poem which praised the staff and the resources the school has.

Avery thanked us and proceeded to introduce the last team.

We went out backstage and then made our way to where the crowd was to watch the rest of the “show”.